Chapter XXIII

XXIII. The King in the North

"You will stay by my side at the gathering tonight." Roose Bolton said to Reau who was sitting in front of him.

"May I ask why?" She asked, not wanting to insult her father but truly curious on why she was going to.

After all, he didn't really care much throughout their whole camp movements and battles, just as long as she made sure to see Jaime Lannister at times.

Speaking of Jaime Lannister, he was still a foul man that Titus wouldn't hesitate to gut but he seemed to have gotten fond of the golden girl. He was still suspicious on her motives and he was still trying to find a way to use her for his escape but he always seemed to enjoy conversation with her, what with her having a comeback of her own every time he would speak.

"Our house needs to be seen as a united front. Everyone needs to see that House Bolton is strong and our opinion shall stand tonight. I presume that tonight will decide who we stand behind." He answered, as if it was obvious.

"So, who will you stand behind? Stannis or Renly?" She asked him, not getting a clear read on her father's thoughts. Not that she'd like to support either one of them.

"You're asking the wrong questions." Roose stated, making Reau swallow all the emotions that threatened to come pouring out.

Reau knew that she'd have to find out sometime but to know now, is heartracing. They were right when they said ignorance is bliss.

"Well then, who will you stand behind? The Starks or the Lannisters?" Reau asked, folding her hands together.

Roose looked at her with silent judgement which was followed by an unreadable emotion. Before she could look into it deeper, it was gone and in its place, his seriousness reappeared.

He stood, walking towards the exit and for a second, she thought that he was gonna leave without replying but he stopped by her, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"You'll see, my child. You'll see."

~~~

Chaos. Complete and utter chaos.

The Northern lords have taken to shouting out who they should support. Stannis or Renly.

Reau and her father remained silent as everyone descended into shouts. Both of them calculating on what the majority is voting for.

Truthfully, Reau didn't care for any of them. Stannis was a stern man who had as much personality as a rock. He was a commander but in Westeros, that's not enough.

As for Renly, he was a great politician and tactician, she had heard that he had even allied himself with House Tyrell. However, he is not next in line for the throne.

Even Robb couldn't deny it as he spoke. "Renly is not the king!"

His voice modulated in volume, capturing everyone's attention, even Roose's.

"You cannot mean to hold to Joffrey, my lord. He put your father to death." A northern lord protested.

As if, Robb would even think of doing that. Reau almost scoffed but stopped herself at the last moment. It wouldn't be wise to anger a northern lord.

"That doesn't make Renly king." Robb whispered coldly, as if the mere thought of Joffrey turned his words to ice.

As Robb tried to reason with the lords once again, everyone started to descend into shouts once more.

Reau had the need to slam her head onto the table. They were going nowhere with shouting at one another. Maybe that was another difference between Braavos and the North.

Just as she decided to walk out, annoyed, Lord Umber interrupted everyone's shouting. "My lords! Here is what I say to these two kings!"

He proceeded to spit onto the ground, making everyone erupt in laughter.

"Renly Baratheon is nothing to me nor Stannis neither. Why should they rule over me and mine from some flowery seat in the south? What do they know of the Wall or the Wolfswood? Even their gods are wrong!" He said, making everyone burst into laughter once more.

Everyone except for Reau's father. He was just watching as Lord Umber continued to speak. She was watching him in curiosity to see what he would react to until something caught her ear.

"There sits the only king I mean to bend my knee to. The King in the North!" He said before drawing his sword and kneeling before Robb.

Her eyes widened at the sight. This was truly an unexpected turn. She had just thought that they were going to speak of who they were going to stand behind but now, they were declaring a king.

Trapped in her thoughts, she was suddenly brought back by the collective shouts of everyone. "The King in the North! The King in the North!"

She turned to her father to see that he was already standing, not shouting with the others but his sword was drawn as well.

Reau's eyebrows furrowed in confusion as her father looked down at her and smirked as if it was all a part of his plan. Maybe it was.

At that moment, her spine laced up with fear and looking up at Robb as he was surrounded by men proclaiming him king, Reau had never felt more afraid.

{~~~~~~}

Robb stood, like the king he was being proclaimed to be. Doubt exploded in his mind. Doubt if he was capable of the task, if he could lead this men into battle but it was all resolved as he looked at Reau.

She was seated at the sides with her father, her golden hair cascading down and her face of pure utter shock. That makes the two of them.

But the mere sight of her brought him back to strength as he realized that he had to win this war. For his mother, his brothers, his sisters and his father. For the North so that they would suffer no longer and for the promise he had sealed with Reau.

He had to win. He will win. He would take up arms and be the king his people needed.

He would be the King in the North.

\|\|\|\|
A/N
So so sorry for the late update. I completely forgot to publish heehee.