Chapter XXII

XXII. Prayer

It had been a few days since they had received news of Ned Stark's death. There had been a lot of chaos ensuing but after some comforting words from Reau, Robb had been able to collect himself.

He knew that he would still go against the crown yet now, he would have vengeance and justice to demand, not just freedom. Joffrey had a lot to answer for.

They were to have a meeting that night to discuss the army's next plan of action. If they were going to support Stannis or Renly, or maybe someone else.

But at the moment, it did not matter. After a walk through the forest, Robb had decided to stay by the edge to have a moment of calm. Of course, Reau knew where he was and decided to join him, which he very much appreciated.

They had stayed with one another, both of them unwilling to let go of the other. They had stayed by the tree, in each other's arms, finding comfort within themselves.

Robb laid sat against the trunk of the tree as Reau leant against him, her back pressed towards his front. His arms wrapped around her waist as their legs splayed together.

She had taken to rubbing soothing patterns onto his hands, prompting a small smile onto his face.

The first genuine one ever since he had received news of his father's death.

He buried his face in her golden locks, taking in her scent as he whispered. "Thank you."

She smiled. "For what?"

"For being here. I know you don't like that we have to hide us but still, you are here with me." He answered.

"Of course I am. I promised you, didn't I?" She replied, smiling at the thought of returning the same words he had said to her when he returned from the Battle at Whispering Wood.

Robb pressed his lips to her temple as she said that, finding complete and utter joy at the mere assurance that he wouldn't lose her. Even if they were just words, it meant a lot to him.

"Let me swear to you, right now then." He announced making her turn around in confusion.

"Swear to me? What?" She asked, sitting across from him.

"I swear to you that when this war has been won, we would no longer have to hide. No more sneaking around. I would properly court you with your father's permission then we would be free to do as we choose." Robb vowed with a gleam in his eyes.

She looked at him with so much hope but then it became questionable as she asked. "But what about everyone else? What about your deal with Lord Frey?"

"I'd find a way to convince him of something else. What I know is that we shouldn't be held back by everyone else's expectations of us. We should be free to be together and if that's what you want as well, then I won't stop fighting for us." Robb said, hope filling every vein in his body.

By the end of his speech, Reau had tears sparkling in her eyes though she had a small smile on her face.

He pulled her close and their lips met in a flurry of emotions. He had been glad for he had thought that he had brought her joy especially at that time.

But he was wrong. He was so very wrong.

{~~~~~~}

Reau wished that she could believe everything he had just promised. She knew that he was a man of his word but what he promised was near to impossible.

She knew that she would never be free of her father, of her family name. She knew that her father wouldn't support her and Robb, he hated the Stark name, after all.

Roose Bolton would never willingly allow his only trueborn child to marry a Stark, not unless the child was a son who would become the heir of Winterfell, giving Winterfell to the Boltons.

Catelyn Stark already made a pact with Walder Frey. A pact that wouldn't be broken as easily as Robb said it. He could be starting another war, if this one would eventually end.

The tears that glimmered in her eyes were not tears of joy. Far from it, actually. They were tears of sadness, tears of longing. Tears of guilt and secrets.

Reau longed for everything he said to come true but she knew that to hope for that would be the same thing as to hope for truth in a field of lies.

She had been guilty of hiding things from Robb but she thought it was for the best, yet here he was laying himself bare for her.

As their lips met, she wished that Robb could win the war and make all of what he said true. She prayed that maybe they could be happy in the future. She hoped for love and victory and peace, at last.

Reau had never considered herself very religious but in that moment,she prayed as hard as anyone could, hoping that the gods would hear such desperate cries.

They most probably did. But the gods were not known for being kind and peace was the last thing they would grant.

\|\|\|\|
A/N
Sorry for the short chapter, it was mostly just a filler but hope you enjoyed it anyway. Some fluff for you