Chapter XII

XII. Choice and Ruin

Waiting for his mother to come back was not as easy as he thought it would be. Robb would've gone himself if it wouldn't prove to be such a risk of imprisonment.

However, receiving the news his mother brought was another thing. Normally, he would be overjoyed about being granted passage and men from Walder Frey. But having been betrothed to a girl he's never even met was not expected.

Robb had never thought of it, thinking nothing of marriage as he was still young. He had only looked forward, thinking that there were further years ahead to ponder upon it though now, it seemed that it was not to be.

Yes, he would have to wed the Frey girl after all the fighting but that did not make it any less easier. His parents were lucky to have found love in an arranged marriage but not everyone can be as lucky as they are.

As he thought about all this, his mother entered his tent, seemingly apologetic about it all.

"I am sorry, Robb. I know that it's not wh-" Catelyn started, only to have Robb cut her off.

"You were able to guarantee us men and passage. You have nothing to be sorry about." He said, despite his serious face.

"Yes, I do. I took away your choice. I know you do not want to marry a girl you have not met." She apologized once again, not wanting to be the reason why her first-born son was upset.

"I don't. But I will do what I must, what father would want me to do." He answered, sitting on his bed, trying to distract himself from thinking about Reau.

It would only make him feel so much worse. After the time they had the night before, he had thought that there could be hope for the two of them but now, he realized that it was not possible. He would have to cease his feelings for her, despite how hard it will be.

"I wish you could have the freedom to choose her, Robb. I really do." Catelyn said, noticing the heartbroken look in Robb's eyes.

"Who?" Robb asked, looking at his mother, though he suspected that she had caught him staring a bit too long.

"Don't bother denying it, I've seen the way you look at that golden-haired girl, the daughter of Roose Bolton. I truly wish things could be different, Robb. Now, get some rest." She said, sighing before leaving the tent and leaving her son to his thoughts.

Choice. His mother was wrong, so very wrong. This betrothal didn't take that away from him. His choice had long been taken away because as long as his heart beat in his chest, it would always choose his golden haired girl.

His golden ruin.

{~~~~~~}

Reau stood by the edge of the forest, awaiting Robb's arrival. They had agreed to meet at that spot once it became dark.

She had come to terms with her feelings after her talk with Titus. She cared about Robb, more than she thought. He took away her breath, just by looking at her. He rendered her speechless when he said her name.

Reau had never felt like this before. In Braavos, there was a boy who claimed to love her and yet he easily gave up on her once he got paid with gold to stop seeing her. Titus had been furious but what could they have done when the gold came from Reau's father himself.

Since then, she had been careful in putting her trust in certain people and Robb, he was the one she found worth her trust. Truthful, kind, good, honorable, dutiful.

"Reau." His familiar voice echoed, prompting her to turn around to see Robb, still in his armor as if he was riding out for battle at that very moment.

"Robb! I thought you'd never show up." Reau said, teasingly as she neared him.

"I had thought about it. Not coming, I mean." Robb answered honestly, making Reau overall confused before her mind registered an answer for her.

"Oh, I apologize. I know that you are leading a war and here I am keeping you from resting. We can always just meet another time if you are too tired. You don't have to keep up a facade for me, you know that, right?" She said hopefully.

Robb had showed up with a stoic expression and Reau had just wanted to know what was wrong. The day had been long, she had heard about Walder Frey being a vile man, maybe he had took up much of Robb's patience.

{~~~~~~}

Robb looked at her hopeful expression, almost wanting to believe that everything had just been a figment of his imagination and he could just forget about all of it.

But he was realistic in terms, one of the things that Reau appreciated about him, even if it would mean to accept defeat.

He took Reau's hand in his own, trying to memorize the feel of her hand, its warmth, warming his whole being before he led her to sit on the ground right beside him.

"Reau, all I want is to be truthful with you." Robb started, not letting go of her hand just yet.

Everyone wants the truth up until they discover how ugly it is. Most people prefer the beautiful lie but the strongest understand how important the truth is even if it causes the most damage. Even if it is what causes heartbreak.

Robb had seen the strength of Reau even without meaning to. Not in terms of fighting or her built but in how she carries herself. She did everything with all she had, not halfway in thought. She accepted everyone, she accepted him despite the burdens he would carry. She showed her care for him, more fierce than anything he had known.

"I don't understand." Reau whispered, her teasing expression now turning solemn.

Robb took a deep breath, now holding both of her hands in his.

"My mother made a deal with Lord Frey. He will grant us safe passage if I do some things. One of those is that I should marry one of his daughters." He paused at that, not wanting to look upon Reau's shocked expression.

It was silent as the only sound they heard was their shallow breathing. Robb was afraid, but he would not continue speaking until he heard her speak. He thought that she wouldn't say a word until she asked him a question that he did not expect.

"What about what you want, Robb?"

<>\|<>\|<>\|<>\|<>\|<>\|<>\|
A/N (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

WASN'T SUPPOSED TO UPDATE BUT EP 3 WAS SO WHOOSH, I COULDN'T HELP IT! WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON ARYA STARK KILLING THE NIGHT KING???