5. Dirty Laundry isn't just a pile in the corner

Walking into Dirty Laundry the next day, took a massive amount of caffeine. Talia wore her typical uniform of pencil skirt, camisole, suit jacket and flats. It was not sexy, and it didn't draw attention to her. That was how she became the Gossip Queen. Unfortunately, as she walked past her colleagues talking stopped until she reached her desk.

Talia booted up her computer while looking at her missed messages.

"Psst."

Without looking up, Talia said, "What Mel?"

"So, is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"You know damn well what I am talking about. Zee Jaxon? Are you two a thing? Was the Gwyn and Gina thing a set up?"

Talia took a deep breath, so she didn't scream at her work bestie. "You know me better than that."

"Well, heads up. Catherine is on the warpath about this. Vanessa may have been putting ideas in her head."

"What about?"

Mel leaned closer. "I overheard her saying it was awfully convenient you were at the same restaurant as Gwyn and Gina that night. She told Catherine that it was probably a stunt you and Zee put together to either promote his movie or pump up your floundering career. No one is that lucky."

She glared at Mel. "It was strictly a coincidence. As for Zee, I don't know why he messed around with that morning anchor like that."

"Don't kill the messenger but Catherine wants proof."

"What kind of proof?"

Mel shrugged and swiped candy out of the candy bowl on her desk.

"Why does anyone think I'm remotely even Zee Jaxon's type?"

"They don't. If you ask me, I think that walk of shame was payment for that publicity stunt." Vanessa Dean stood next to the desk.

"No one asked you, Vanessa." Talia spat.

Before the vengeful bitch could say anything else, Catherine's voice carried over the floor of reporters. "Talia! My office now!"

"Good luck, Talia." Vanessa walked away with a confident swagger.

"Ignore her. Tell Catherine whatever you need to convince her it wasn't a set up." Mel patted her back then moved to her desk.

Talia grabbed her notepad. She walked tentatively over to Catherine's office.

"You wanted to see me."

"Shut the door and sit down."

Closing the door, Talia sat in a chair across from Catherine.

Catherine shuffled papers into a folder. "How do you know him?"

"We grew up together. He is my brother's best friend."

"Not then. Now. How do you know him now?"

"I don't know what you mean, Catherine. I've hated Zee Jaxon my entire life."

"So that was hate we see in that picture of you shoving your panties in your purse?"

"Uhm.."

"Or is that hate we see in the picture of you too acting more than friendly at that party?"

"Catherine, you don't understand. It wasn't what you think."

"Oh really? You have one chance Talia to explain to me or you are done. Our reputations are everything in this business. If I can't trust you to be honest in the stories you produce, then I don't need you here."