46. Bang Bang Boogie

Two Months Zeke Free

Talia walked up to the townhouse she shared with Jeremiah. A huge bouquet of flowers sat on the stoop. Without question, she picked them up carrying them into the house. Placing the flowers on the table she went into the kitchen to grab a bottled water.

After her meeting with Annie and Wayne, she took a grand total of fifteen minutes to decide to accept the job offer. Wayne had been so happy he begged her to start the following day. Ever since then her days have been busy learning the ropes at The Bucket List or TBL as she liked to refer to it.

Compared to Dirty Laundry, TBL was incredibly laid back. It was very casual with a lighthearted atmosphere. Considering they dealt with sick children every day it was a very uplifting place to work. Even as CEO, Wayne was laid back and easy going. He could be found wearing video game t-shirts, jeans and sneakers every day. It was why, during their meeting, he looked so uncomfortable in his ill-fitted suit he wasn't used to them.

Since she'd begun working at TBL, Talia came home feeling fulfilled every day. She was finishing the book she'd started in Georgia and even started writing down even more ideas for stories. Unbeknownst to her Dirty Laundry had been a weight around her neck. It had been pulling her down. Now that it was gone, she was free to start anew at a place that was doing good in the world.

"Jeremiah!" She yelled after taking a drink of her water.

"What?" He yelled back from somewhere upstairs.

"There are flowers for you out here." Talia sang the words like a taunt.

Silence met her words. She continued to drink her water when she heard footsteps coming from upstairs. Jeremiah walked into the room looked at the flowers then at Talia. He looked like he'd seen a ghost.

"What's wrong?"

"Oh...uhm...nothing. Did you look at the card?"

"No. I just assumed they were yours. I don't have anyone in my life that would be sending me anything like that."

Jeremiah had a guilty look on his face.

"Read the card." He said.

"I don't need to see a love note from your latest bed buddy. It could scar me for life." She laughed but when she saw the seriousness of his face she stopped.

Talia walked over to the flowers grabbing the note off of the plastic trident that held it in place. The name on the front was hers. She looked at Jeremiah and he tensed. Opening the card, she read the note inside.

Talia,

I think of you more with each passing day.

I'm still so in love with you even knowing you hate me.

I can't express how sorry I am for what I put you through.

I hope you will forgive me one day. These will be the last I ever send you.

I Love You,

Zeke

"What the fuck is going on, Jeremiah?" Talia snapped.

"I'm sorry."

"What are you sorry for?" Talia crossed her arms to control her temptation to strangle her best friend.

"I've been hiding some things."

"What? I'm getting impatient here, Jeremiah." Talia tapped her foot.