8. Just a little Grease Lightning

Talia felt a weight shift on her bed. Sleep had been fitful. Pain radiated behind her eyes when she tried to open them. Groaning she slung her arm over her eyes.

"You know you snore?"

A scream tore out of Talia. The arm covering her eyes swung out smashing into something hard.

"Shit! Lia its me."

"Dammit! Zeke!"

"Sorry. I just wanted to wake you up for dinner." Zeke stood from the bed and opened the curtains.

"DON'T!" She yelled.

Zeke jumped away from the curtains. "What's wrong?"

Talia groaned. "I have a migraine. I need darkness."

He crept over to her. "What can I do?" He said softly.

"I need my medicine and caffeine." Her voice was muffled from the pillow she covered her face.

"Ok. I will be right back."

Thundering steps retreated out of her room. Talia felt herself relax back into a light sleep. The dark and cool dulled the pain in her head.

"Lia. I have a soda and your medicine." Zeke sat on the bed next to her.

"Ok." She lifted the pillow off her face. Pain lanced through her head.

"Here. Take this." Concern crossed his face.

Squinting her eyes, Talia took the soda and pills.

"How long does it take?" He pushed her hair out of her face. Talia pulled back but winced when pain hit again.

"About a half an hour."

"Do you want food?"

Talia lay back on the bed covering her face with the pillow again. "That would be great."

"Ok. I will come back in an hour with some food."

Talia muffled a response as she sunk back into the bed. As she fell back into the darkness, she heard a deep laugh exiting her room.

***

"Lia, I brought you food." Zeke carried a tray of food into her room.

"Thanks."

Talia had been awake for ten minutes. Cool and dark the room continued to sooth away the migraine. The dull ache persisted but was much easier to handle.

Zeke sat next to her on the bed. The tray was piled with cheese, crackers, a dip, cookies and brownies. With just a look at the delicious assortment, Talia's stomach grumbled. Heat flushed her face in embarrassment.

"Looks like I came to the rescue right on time." He piled the pillows behind him.

Piling cheese on a cracker, she looked at him as he made himself at home. "What are you doing?"

"May I?" He held up the remote.

She nodded. "I repeat what are you doing, Zeke?"

"Watching television. Oh, I like this movie." He stole a piece of cheese and popped it in his mouth.

The glowing screen flashed images of people doing choreographed dance moves. A classic movie musical was not what she expected.

"A musical?"

"Yep. It reminds me of Mama. She always watched these with us when we were sick. My love of acting came from these movies." His eyes never left the screen.

Silence enveloped them as the watched the musical. They shared the snacks while relaxing. It was surprisingly normal.

The glow from the television highlighted the handsome man next to her. Talia never saw or thought of Zeke as a man. Probably because he never acted like one, but now as they as quietly watching the movie she saw a different side of him. She understood what these women saw in him. His blonde hair that hung down to his chin. The nose with a slight upturn. Pouty lips made for a woman but gave him an air of sensuality. Zeke's body looked hard and carved in just the right places. She understood now why women flocked to see his movies.

"Why are you staring at me, Lia?"

A sensual smile curved his lips.

"I was still wondering what you are doing in here. You never did answer my question."

He turned toward her. "Does it matter? It seems we were enjoying ourselves no matter the reason."

"After what happened today, Zeke, I need to know the reason."

He reached for the tray in her lap. She stilled him with her hand.

"I'm sorry."

"I know you're sorry." Ice coated the words.

A muscle flexed in his jaw. "I didn't mean for you to see any of that. Max and Terrence stopped by unexpectedly."

"I get that your friends stopped by and brought "entertainment", but you sat there as they treated me horribly. This happens again. I won't be staying around."

"I said I was sorry they stopped by."

"You know damn well, I am not talking about that. If you or your friends ever treat me like I'm some dumpy ugly less than nothing person, I will leave. Fuck my career. Fuck your career. Fuck you and your friends."

Tension filled the air between them. Memories from earlier in the day flooded through her mind. The pounding started to increase again. She needed to relax before a migraine over took her again.

Sliding out of the bed, Talia walked into the bathroom. Cool water splashed on her face. Her reflection stared back at her. The remnants of the headache weighed on her features. Tracing her features she could see what Terrance and Max said earlier. She was not like them or the girls they'd brought.

Her curvy frame had more dips and lumps than most in Hollywood. She was plain except for her bright blue eyes. Being unimpressive has worked for her. It won't work for her now as Zeke's love interest.

Think of the devil and he appeared. Zeke leaned against the doorframe of the bathroom. "You ok?"

Talia shut her eyes before answering. "No. Stress exacerbates the headaches."

"Oh."

"Look, I can't talk right now about you and your friends being assholes. I need to go back to bed. We can talk tomorrow."

"Uh...there is something I need to talk to you about. We have dinner plans Monday at Celestial. I will pick you up here after work."

"That's fine."

"For what it's worth, I am sorry."

"You know, Zeke, if I even thought you knew what you were apologizing for I'd believe you. But you don't get it. Good night. I will see you tomorrow."

Talia cocoonedherself back under the pillows and blankets. Blanking her mind she didn't hear his retreating steps, his frustratedsigh or the "I'll make it up to you" as he left her room.