Chapter One

The Chaos of Redemption

Chapter One

Three years later...

Padme sat on the veranda floor, holding a doll in one hand and a teddy bear in the other.

"Hey Melanie, I'm Mister Cuddles, your favorite teddy bear!" Padme said in a deep, animated voice. Her daughter giggled, her wild curls bouncing around her shoulders as she did so.

"Silly Mommy! That's not how Cuddles talks," She smiled at her mother, snatching the bear and hugging it closer in her arms.

"Well how about you can tell me how he talks after we get back from seeing your father, hmm?" Melanie jumped up from the veranda and ran off to put her teddy bear away. Padme stood up, tossing the doll into a small basket next to the couch. She picked up her black cloak from the couch's back and clasped it in front of her shoulders.

"Melanie, come get your cloak on!"

A very giggly little girl bounded down the stairs, her ash blonde curls resembling a lion's mane as she landed at the base of the staircase. She wore a sleeveless jumpsuit that resembled the one Padme adorned, only Melanie's was baby pink whereas her mother's was black.

As she skipped up to her mother, Padme bent down in front of her, wrapping the light brown cloak around Melanie's shoulders.

"Mommy, why do we have to wear these capes?"

"Because we mustn't let anyone see who we really are."

"Why? Are we doing something wrong by going to see Daddy?"

Padme sighed, looking at her daughter's beautiful eyes. On the right, her eye was blue like her father's. On the left, her eye was a lighter brown version of her own eyes.

"Melanie, you know daddy can't tell anyone about us. You'll understand when you're older."

"Oh," Melanie tilted her head to the side. "Did you and daddy break the rules?" Padme smiled, ruffling her daughter's curls as she stood up.

"I guess you can say that but enough of this for now. It's time to go see your father."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Could you excuse me for one moment?" Anakin asked. Senator Bail Organa nodded and smiled at the young hero, "Certainly." As the senator walked off, Anakin turned to his left and began running towards the two people who hid in the shadows. He was about five feet away when the smaller of the two ran towards him, jumping into his arms.

"Daddy!" Melanie squeezed her father.

Anakin caught Melanie and continued over to his wife, picking her and Melanie up with his arms. He spun them around, Melanie quietly giggling between her parents. He set them both down as he turned and kissed Padme deeply, completely oblivious to their daughter's presence for a moment.

She pulled back, holding his face in her hands. "Oh Ani," She pulled him down to hug her, needing to feel him in her arms. They hadn't seen each other in a few months which to all three of the Skywalker's felt longer than just a few months.

"There were whispers...that you had been killed," Padme stared at his lips, holding him as close as she could manage.

"Shhhh, my love..." He kissed her forehead, turning his head to the side as he set it on top of hers. "Not in front of Melanie; I'm here now and I'm safe my love. It feels like we've been apart for a life time..."

"Mommy cried a lot when you left Daddy," Melanie chimed in, stepping closer to her father. He held Padme with one arm, bending down to kneel in front of their daughter. "I did too. Daddy, why did you have to leave me and Mommy again?"

Anakin scooped her up in his free arm, kissing her cheek. "It's complicated, Princess. I didn't want to leave, Mel; you'll understand when you're older about why Mommy and Daddy don't see each other all the time," He leaned his head on hers, loving the feeling of being wanted by her.

"That's what Mommy said."

Both Padme and Anakin chuckled, trying to keep their reunion quiet in the halls they within. Padme ran a hand over Melanie's forearm, "Sweetheart, you remember our surprise for daddy?"

Anakin turned, smirking at his petite wife. "You both coming to see me wasn't the surprise?"

"No Daddy," Melanie hugged him around the neck. He maneuvered his daughter to his right hip, holding her by the small of her back. "Can I tell him, Mommy? Pretty please with extra berries on top!"

Anakin glanced between his sweet daughter and his lovely wife, wondering what they were hiding from him. "Okay, out with it somebody!" He tickled Melanie's stomach, noticing the jumpsuit she was wearing had writing on it. "Hey princess, what does your shirt say?"

Melanie looked up expectantly at her mother, who bent down to undo her cloak. "Go ahead, Mel. Show your Daddy the big surprise..."

Once Padme stood up, Anakin took her place and read the words on Melanie's shirt aloud.

"Guess what? I'm going to be a..." He stopped reading the last two words in his head. He whipped back up to face Padme, who stood smiling and nodding her head slightly.

"We're having another baby, Ani..."

Anakin picked her up, spinning her around in his arms, "You're pregnant?! Oh, this is wonderful!" He set Padme down, only to pick up Melanie and hold both of them close.

"This is the happiest moment of my life!"