Chapter Seventeen

Obi-Wan steps out of his fighter, dusting himself off after a long fight. He looks to the right to see Padme's vacant ship with the ramp down; he looks to the left to find pure trouble.

Anakin stood in front of about a dozen clones, Rex's regime from what he could tell by their uniforms, with Melanie on one of his hips and Padme no where to be found.

"Where is Senator Amidala?" He got straight to the point; he wasn't messing around.

"She's safe and soon, Melanie and I will be joining her shortly," Anakin scowled at him. "What are you doing here, Obi-Wan? Have you come to die because my boys and I would be happy to kill you, we'll even do it for free!"

"Your arrogance betrays you, Anakin," Obi-Wan walked a little closer to them, leaving about five feet between himself and his fallen apprentice. "Melanie, where is your mother?"

"She's safe just like my daddy said," Anakin's grip on his daughter tightened as she answered him.

"So Anakin really is your father, huh?" Obi-Wan clasped his hands behind his back, nodding his head in understanding. "So was Melanie an accident Anakin?"

"What are you talking about old man?"

Obi-Wan smirk, a slight arrogance filling him. "Let me guess; you and Senator had an affair around, I'd say the beginning of the Clone Wars, which resulted in Melanie's unexpected birth. How close am I?"

Anakin snapped, "My daughter is ANYTHING but an accident. Padme and I share a deep love, one that we have had since we were on Naboo all those years ago. Melanie is a blessing," His eyes softened as he looked at the child, who looked at him with adoration. "She was a result of our honeymoon, which I assure you, means we meant for her to come into this world."

Obi-Wan slowly clapped his hands, "Congratulations! You successfully broke the jedi code and brought down the order with your bare hands! Tell me, how did it feel when you killed all those younglings, most of which weren't much older than your daughter?"

"Daddy, what's a youngling?"

Obi-Wan cut in before Anakin had the chance, "A youngling is a small chi-" Suddenly, Obi-Wan couldn't speak; Anakin had done it again.

He began choking his former master, brother and friend.

Rex stepped forward, "Sir..?"

Anakin didn't take his eyes off of Obi-Wan, "Take Melanie to the ship and let her sit with Padme," Rex carefully took Melanie into his arms, his military training doing nothing for him as he awkwardly tried to cradle her. "Dax, Jinx, cuff the jedi; I think Rex needs some help with my daughter..."

Anakin took Melanie in his arms, "Sadly soldier, you'll have to learn how to hold my daughter." Rex couldn't understand why but he took a note of his friend's fatherly hold.

Melanie's head was up against Anakin's right shoulder, her right hand holding the hem of his robes. Anakin cradled her with an arm under her shoulder blades and his other arm wrapping around her upper legs.

"May I ask why sir?"

Anakin handed Melanie over to the now, helmet less soldier, trading the small child for the navy and white head gear. "There will be times where-," He slipped his arm behind Melanie's dipping torso. "Support her shoulders and neck so she doesn't fall."

As Rex adjusted his hold, Anakin cleared his throat and straightened his cloak. "With the emperor dead and Padme's... current state," He glanced around to see Obi-Wan face down on the platform with his hands cuffed behind his back. "Someone will need to be keeping an eye on my daughter now that I've gotta take control." He placed a hand on his comrades shoulder, looking down to see Melanie slipping closer and closer to sleep in Rex's arms.

"I trust you Rex. You've been like a brother to me since the beginning of the war," He kissed Melanie's cheek before heading towards the ship where Padme awaited them.

"Come on boys, we got us a jedi to deal with!"