Chapter Ten

The Chaos of Redemption

Chapter Ten

"Anakin!" Palpatine called out as the young jedi raced into his office, crawling back against the window frame as Mace pointed his purple blade at the old man's throat. "Help me!" The old man began to wail for his life.

"He's a sith lord! Don't do it!" Mace hollered to Anakin, who stood between the two men. "Help me defeat him for the republic!"

"I need him," Anakin declared, his mechanical hand inching towards his cerulean blade.

Mace's arms went over his head as Anakin launched himself at the Jedi Master.

"NOOOOO!"

Within a short sequence of swings as well as a single push of the force, Mace Windu was no more. Palpatine stood up, chuckling darkly as Anakin dropped to his knees. "What have I done?"

"You my boy have only just begun your path to the dark side..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Melanie!" Padme yelled through the door. "Open the door right now!"

Anakin ran through the apartment, heading up towards the stairs that led to his daughter's room. "I'm here, Angel," He pulled Padme into his arms, trying to calm her.

"She's been screaming since I put her down for a nap after lunch," Padme sobbed, feeling helpless due to the door that separated them from their wailing daughter. Anakin pushed her behind his back beneath his cloak with a gentle push.

"I'll fix it later..."

"Fix wh-" Before Padme could respond, Anakin's foot connected with the door, sending it flying into Melanie's room. He rushed into the room with Padme in tow as it hit the opposite wall.

Neither one of them were prepared for what they saw in her room.

Her dresser was overturned, resting perfectly upside down in its normal place. The vanity mirror that hung on the champagne wall facing her canopy bed was cracked in a strange web-like pattern. All of her drawers were open in her chester drawers, wardrobe, both bedside tables and even her toy cabinet. Her clothes were all over the floor but stopped around her bed in a circular shape on top of her tan tile floor.

"Melanie!" Padme rushed to the golden canopy bed, throwing back the cream veils to reveal their daughter. Anakin went around the other side and placed a hand on Padme's back.

"She's screaming in her sleep," Anakin noted. He used his mechanical hand to brush back some of Melanie's curls then rested his hand on her shoulder.

He gave her a little shake, "Melanie..."

She only screamed louder, "NOOOOO!"

Padme ran her fingers along her daughter's collarbone, "Mel, baby..."

Anakin's patience suddenly snapped, "MELANIE, WAKE UP!"

His deep voice echoed off the walls, shocking Padme and causing Melanie to wake up with a gasp. "DADDY NO!"

Melanie shot up into a seated position, sandwiched between her parents who engulfed her small body with their own, tears running down her flushed cheeks. Padme smoothed down some of her curls, guiding Melanie's head onto her shoulder. Anakin rubbed Melanie's back, trying to calm himself down as well as comfort his little princess.

"Mommy, I'm so so sorry...P-Please don't leave Daddy!"

Padme's eyes met Anakin's in a confused gaze, both completely caught off guard by her outburst.

"D-Daddy, I'm sor-ry...P-Please don't hurt Mommy, pl-ease!"

Not only was this startling to her parents but little did they know that Melanie's force abilities had just made themselves known. Just like her father, she was cursed and blessed with the gift of visions.