Chapter Eight

The Chaos of Redemption

Chapter Eight

"Blast, Padme's gonna kill me!"

Anakin sighed, carrying his sleeping princess in his arms as they left the Opera house. He turned to the left, heading towards the landing platform where R2 was waiting for them in his slot.

"Anakin?"

He stopped in his tracks and turned around to face the voice's owner. "Master, what are you doing here?"

Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow, crossing his arms and stroking his beard as he looked at his oddly-dressed apprentice. "I should be asking you that. Why are you dressed like that and why are you carrying Melanie Amidala?"

Anakin let out a nervous laugh and cracked an anxious smile. "I had to babysit for Senator Amidala. I also had to meet Palpatine at the opera house for a conference. I'd love to stay and talk but I'm already late and I'm pretty sure Padme is gonna kill me if I'm any later."

Obi-Wan looked between Melanie and Anakin, noticing how they shared some similarities; they had the same jawline and even the same hair color. "Ya know, you two could be related..."

"Bye Master!" With that, Anakin rushed Melanie to his ship and hit the button so the cockpit opened.

Melanie stirred in his arms as he hopped up on the ships wing. "Daddy?"

Anakin shushed her as he slipped into the cockpit's seat. "It's alright, Princess. Daddy's got you..." The glass top covered them and then they were off, flying straight back to the 500 Republica.

"Daddy?" Obi-Wan asked aloud, popping out of his hiding place in the shadows.

"I have a bad feeling about this..."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Daddy?" Melanie sat up in her parents bed, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. She cracked one eye open and looked around the bedroom, searching for any sign of her father. She looks down and notices not only her now loose curls hanging at her sides but also a dark blue nightgown had taken the place of her plum dress.

Padme poked her head into the room just as Melanie looked up. "Momma..."

Shushing her daughter as she crossed the room, Padme wrapped her arms around the sleepy three year old in a loving embrace. "It's alright, baby; Mommy's right here," She cooed, smoothing back some of Melanie's golden ringlets. "Everything's fine now, you're home with me; you and Daddy must have had a big night. You slept in until 1100."

"Wait, I really went with Daddy? It wasn't a dream?" The little girl's lips tugged up into a grin, remembering the opera and being with her father.

Padme chuckled, lightly rocking and forth with Melanie in her arms. "Yes you did and Daddy said you were very good. He also said to tell you he loved you and he would see you very soon."

Melanie's smile dropped completely as her eyes began to water. "Daddy's gone again?"

Padme looked down at her baby girl that laid heartbroken against her swollen belly. "Yeah, he had to see Master Kenobi off this morning and go see the Chancellor again today. He'll be back soon enough though."

She couldn't take it anymore; Melanie started to cry. "I thought Daddy said he'd be home until after tomorrow's rotation!"

"You mean tomorrow?"

Padme mentally scolded herself as Melanie's fit continued on, growing louder and wetter. "I w-want...D-Daddy!"

She didn't want to make matters any worse than she already had so Padme just comforted Melanie as best she could and remained silent, her thoughts floating around her missing husband.