Chapter Twelve

'Master Skywalker, they're everywhere. What are we gonna do?'

Anakin was boosting through Coruscant's skyways, his mustard and chrome cruiser just a blur to the passing ships. His eyes could see the ship's path ahead of him but his heart and mind only grief and regret.

Suddenly the little boy morphed into Melanie, who stood in his place as Anakin swung his icy blue saber came flying down at an angle.

'Is this what you wanted, Daddy?'

Anakin nearly crashed into the veranda as the twisted memory of something that took place just moments ago floated throughout his mind. He used the force to help him jump out of his ship, landing in the center of the veranda in a couched position with his arm out. He stood up slowly, letting Padme and Melanie's force signatures coming from within calm him down.

"Ani!"

Anakin opening his eyes again and letting out a breath he didn't realize he had been holding. She looked like an angel as Padme ran toward him, her chocolate curls flowing behind her like a silk flag.

He breathless caught her in his arms, his prosthetic hand pressing the small of her back towards his muscular frame. Anakin slipped his flesh hand underneath her chin, pressing his rough lips against her soft pout.

"I heard that the temple was under attack," Padme laced her fingers through his sandy blonde curls, resting her forehead against his curls. "You can see the smoke from here!"

He pulled her into his arms, allowing her to rest her head on his shoulder. "I came to check on you, Melanie and the baby. I had to make sure you were alright..."

"Daddy?"

They turned their attention towards a sleepy-eyed Melanie, dressed in one of Anakin's old tunics. "Hey Princess," Anakin knelt down beside Padme, picking up his daughter and tucking her under his chin. "What are you doing up this late?"

"I wanted to say bye-bye before you left Mommy and Me again."

"What does she mean by leaving?" Padme raised one of her perfectly arched brows at him. "Anakin? You just came home, you can't just leave me again!" Salty tears began to build up against her mocha-colored eyes. He tucked Melanie's head under his chin and cradled her with one arm, his free hand reaching out to Padme.

"Angel, I have been given a mission that once complete, will end this war."

Melanie silently cried into Anakin's chest, her father feeling the sensation of her hiccup s as she did sobbed. "Mel, don't cry; Daddy hates seeing you cry..." She only shut her little eyes tighter, squeezing the fistful of his tunic in her hand more forcefully.

"Daddy, please don't go! I don't want you and Mommy to break up!"

Anakin pulled her up to face him, Padme leaning into his free side as they both gazed at their daughter. "Princess, just because I'm leaving doesn't mean Mommy and I are breaking up. Just the thought of breaking up with her makes my heart ache..."

Padme tucked a stray curl behind Melanie's ear, "Why do you think Mommy and Daddy are gonna break up?" She glanced up at Anakin who was already looking over at her. "This isn't the first time she's said this, if you remember..."

"Something that heartbreaking will never be able to leave my mind," He leaned over and kissed her temple. "Melanie, why do you think that-"

"Because I saw it! In my nightmare that night I was on your ship! Daddy, it was terrible! Please d-dont do it!"

Melanie began to cry hysterically, reaching out towards Padme. She carefully took Mel from Anakin, hugging her close to her heart. He looked down at his angels, one crying softly into her mother's chest and the other looking back up at him with unshed tears in her eyes.

"Please wait for me, my Love. I promise we will go away when this is over with; we'll completely disappear..." He started walk over to his ship, only to feel a soft hand grip his own.

"Ani, please... Why can't we just run away now?"

Anakin sighed, crossing back over to her. "I want this war over with so you and Melanie and the next little one can live in a galaxy without division. No one to fear or run from..." He looped his arms around them as he stared deep into his wife's eyes.

"Ani, please don't leave me..."

Her plead alone made Anakin want to drop to his knees in heartache. A single tear strayed from her eyes, leaving a moist trail behind as it rolled over her cheek. He brushed it away with his calloused thumb before dipping his head down to kiss her. He pulled away with a final peck, kissing her forehead and Melanie's cheek before silently turning away to his ship.

As the cruiser zoomed off into the navy skies above, Padme felt as though he wouldn't be coming back to her ever again.

Boy, was she right...