Part 1

27 year old Avis wistfully looked out the window, watching a young couple walk by, hand in hand. Green with envy, she watched them - with their color coordinating outfits and their obvious love for each other. She sighed, wishing she could have a dashing and heartfelt man that could hold her hand, kiss her goodnight and celebrate her celebrations with her. Avis hated being single.

 The ear - splitting cry coming from her two year old son, Phoenix, and the meow coming from her two favorite kittens, Bexley and Delaney, interrupted her train of thought. "Shhh, Bexley, Delaney. Calm yourself." she said. Avis absent mindedly stroked her baby's downy and scorching brown hair. She looked back out of the window, but the couple was gone.

 The warmth coming off of Phoenix comforted her, but not enough to raise the sadness and anger that hung like a cloud above her head. She always felt the worst for Phoenix, because he has to grow up without a loving father. 

Avis ran her hand through her beautiful, black as midnight hair, looking into the mirror toy that her son played with. An older, frazzled version of her stared out from the mirror's smooth, glossy surface. Avis looked away, not wanting to see more.

After lunch, Avis was at the kitchen sink, swiping baby food and cat hairs off of her favorite beige jumper. She had Phoenix in a strap on her back, and he was already in a deep slumber. Her favorite book, 'Shit, Murgatroyd!' was propped up lazily against the microwave. 

It slid with a depressing bang against the slick marble counter. Avis felt her son's curly hair tickle the nape of her neck. His labored breathing again partially calmed her racing thoughts.