Part 5

Avis spotted her mother beside the kitchen entrance, looking confused. Phoenix looked up and as soon as he saw Beatrix, he got really excited. "Grandma! Grandma!" He called, waving his chubby hand frantically. Beatrix saw them, smiled and strode over. 

Avis had to grin when she saw her mother. Beatrix was a beautiful woman with a curly afro, fit and not a single gray hair or wrinkle. She went to the gym every Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, cared about her clothes, wore makeup, and was a vegan through and through. "Happy birthday, Mum." Avis said, hugging Beatrix with her free hand. 

Beatrix beamed. "I'm so glad you two made it. Ooh, here's my favorite grandbaby! Hi, sweet pea!" she said, as she kissed Avis and Phoenix on their cheeks.

"This party is going to be the best party I've ever hosted. It has to be!" Beatrix gushed, looking around the room with satisfaction. 

Avis rolled her eyes and smiled. "You say that every year, Mum. Anyways - when I saw you by the kitchen, you looked slightly confused. What's up?" 

Bea sighed melodramatically. "Well, some people aren't letting me into my kitchen. It's SO exasperating Avis laughed at her mom's expression. 

"Why don't I go see what's up? Here, you hold Phoenix for a bit while I check." Avis suggested, gently placing her baby in her mother's arms. 

Avis stepped into the kitchen, and the smell of cheesecake filled her nose. Cheesecake was the only cake that Tyrell would eat, since he loved it so much. Avis lowered her head, and the cheesecake scent got a bit fainter. 

All of a sudden, she was seized and swirled around by a pair of strong arms. She almost felt like a baby again. 

"Haiya, sis! How come you didn't notice me?! I'm right here, girl!" Avis looked down to see that it was her favorite older sister, Adelaide. Her jaw dropped. Adelaide lived all the way in Miami, US and the last time Avis saw her was the day Phoenix was born - 2 years ago, August 5, 2016. It was now May 18, 2018. How time flew. Soon Avis' precious baby would be 3 years old, a big boy, as he liked to call himself.

Oh, yes. How time flies.