Part 2

Almost every single event in Avis' busy life reminded her of the pain and anger she felt that night when her beautiful husband left her, exactly two years and 3 months ago. It was when she was just 6 months pregnant with Phoenix. 

Her husband, Tyrrell, left one moonless night - along with his cat, Hazel - and he had hugged her and kissed her, saying he loved her but he couldn't stay. 

He left, threw his 4 bulky suitcases into the cab of his dusty blue van and didn't look back. Avis wondered about him every day now, wondering if he was having a good life. She hated him for it. Sometimes she wished she never got involved with him in the first place, and that she hated him, but sometimes she wished he never left. But what she wondered most was if he would ever come back and what would happen if he did.

Phoenix lay in his crib, playing with his toy sock monkey that Tyrrell had sent to him for his 1st birthday. It had come in the mail with a card and a drawing of the two of them together - after all, Tyrrell had always been an astonishing and gifted artist. 

Avis never got anything for her birthday. Not that she was complaining. But the toy still reminded her of the pain. Avis looked away, and tried to focus on something else. She felt like a hole was opening in her chest, and whenever she thought of Tyrrell and his stupidity, the hole got bigger and bigger.