Part 8

After dinner, everyone sang Happy Birthday, opened presents, and Avis and Adelaide brought out the enormous purple cake. Beatrix brightened instantly. "Oh, so THAT'S why you wouldn't let me in the kitchen!!" she said. The cake was huge, so there was seconds for everyone. Beatrix smiled. "This is the best 48th birthday ever." she declared. 

"Like you've had more than one." said someone. Everyone laughed.

By the time Avis and Phoenix said goodbye to their relatives, got into their car and drove home, it was dark. Bea had sent tons of food home with them, which Avis piled into the passenger seat. She unloaded the food onto the kitchen counter, grabbed Phoenix and almost slipped on something flat and smooth on the ground. 

Avis looked down, and her heart skipped a beat. It had obviously came through the mail slot, of course, and the name on it made her hand shake and tremble as she picked up the creamy, thick envelope. She set Phoenix down on the floor and he toddled off to his playroom upstairs.

The envelope said "To Misses Avis Michaella Bardot, 478 Sanders Avenue" The return address said "From Tyrrell Bardot, 2531 Johnston Boulevard" Avis gripped the envelope. A part of her wanted to rip the envelope into pieces. It wanted to set the papers on fire. But another part was curious about what he had to say after all these years. Tyrrell. Tyrrell. She opened the letter. Tyrell's scraggly handwriting that she had cherished so much peeked out at her. The hole in her chest again opened up a significant amount.