Part 9

To Avis Bardot,

So. It's been a long time since we've communicated, isn't it? I hope you're faring well. I sincerely hope. I'm doing okay. I try. I got a new job about a year ago at the Henderson's lawyer firm. The pay is reasonable, I think. How is Phoenix? I hope my son is doing okay. Our son, I mean. I'm really sorry for not writing sooner. I don't want to admit it, but I honestly feel I should have written a long, long time ago. I don't like to keep people waiting. But I have a busy life, too, I guess. I could have emailed, but to me email is just too instant. Just writing seemed appropriate to me. How are you? I feel like I've already asked, but I'd like to ask once more. Do you have a new job like me? Or are you staying at home with Phoenix? I miss him. Tell him Dad said hi. I'm curious about you, Avis. That's why I wrote down my return address - so you can write me. You don't have to if you don't want to. Your choice. I've moved into a bachelor apartment, close to Valerie's Merry Berries Farm. You know, where Lakeysha had her 5th birthday party? I admit, it's been way too long since we've communicated. Too long. Write me. You can visit me if you want, and bring Phoenix - now that you know my address. You might be surprised, but I miss hearing you and seeing you. My number is: 650-946-2956 Maybe we'll see each other sometime. Maybe.

From Tyrell

Avis sat down on the couch, slightly dazed. How could he? Now, all of a sudden? Was she just imagining things? Did he actually say he missed her? Sure, he did. Totally. She re-read the letter. He really did say that. Hm. Clarise, a tabby kitten, sniffed at the corner of the letter. Avis pulled it away. She didn't want it to be ruined. Part of her wanted to, obviously.

Phoenix came downstairs, dragging his huge Shaun the Sheep stuffed toy with him. "What's dat, Mommy? What's dat?" he asked. Avis blew her nose in a tissue. "That's Daddy." she replied. Phoenix cocked his head. "Daddy wrote a letta, Mommy? A letta ?" Avis smiled. The word "letter" was one of the first words that she taught him. "Yes, darling, Daddy wrote a letter. He said hi to you." Phoenix beamed happily. "YAY! Daddy said hi! Daddy said hi!!" he was overjoyed. "Can we see Daddy, Mommy?? Can we??" he cried, clapping his hands. Avis forced a smile. "I don't know, sweetie. Maybe."

Maybe.