Part 16

After Avis dropped Phoenix off at her mother's house, she drove to the mall a few blocks away. She needed to buy some clothes for herself and Phoenix, and plus she had to get groceries. She pulled into an empty parking lot. She grabbed her phone and her purse, and walked across the parking lot into the mall. As soon as she entered the mall, she walked into Fresh Life, the huge grocery store/supercenter she always went to.

She wheeled her shopping cart through the isles, putting items on her grocery list into the metal bottomed cart. The wheels gave a high - pitched, rusty screech as she rolled along. Avis reached up to a top shelf in the baby food aisle to get a jar of Phoenix's favorite cookies. Lucky that I'm tall, thought Avis, smiling faintly.

 After she went on her grocery - shopping spree, Avis left the mall weighed down with heavy bags. Several bags of clothes and groceries hung from her slim, tanned arms. She dumped the flimsy white plastic bags into the trunk and slammed the door shut. She straightened up, trying her best not to look over at the flashing pink - and turquoise neon light sign of Etta's Diner. It tempted her, what Tyrrel had suggested.

But she didn't want to go. She didn't want to see any of that....that....idiot.... But Avis was drawn to the restaurant, like a mouse drawn to the cheese, or like a bear drawn to the honey. After all, it was her favorite restaurant. No, Avis thought. Don't start making up excuses for yourself. Get a grip, girl. She felt like she was being hypnotized. Literally. Avis took a deep breath. She felt she shouldn't have been doing what she was doing now. She walked up the path towards Etta's Diner.

Avis drank in her surroundings. The first time she had been to Samantha's Diner was probably when she was about 9 years old. The theme of the diner was retro, with a bright, creamy interior and pops of pink and turquoise all around. 

The restaurant, which was cozy and dim, vibrated with music. Neon pink and turquoise lights hung from the ceiling. Glossy white seats with pink and turquoise throw pillows were arranged around glossy white tables, and the private 2 - seater booths were divided by white striped glass. On the walls were framed, black - and - white photos of famous jazz and blues singers of the 1950s - including Nat King Cole, Louis Armstrong, and Dizzy Gillespie.

The bar table stretched from one side of the restaurant to the other, with a white and pink marbled countertop and white barstools. The wall behind the bar held shelves filled with beautiful wine and rum bottles from as way back as the 1800s. Overall, Avis liked going to the restaurant because of it's laid back vibe and delicious food. She took a deep breath and scanned the room, looking for her runaway husband. 

*****************

Thank you all for reading!

More coming your way!

XOXO icy234