Part 6

How...what...when.." Avis was at a loss for words. "Well, I couldn't make it to Mom's last two birthdays, so I figured that I had to come this time." Adelaide replied, laughing as she put Avis down. 

Adelaide was a tall, tasteful, 31 year old who worshipped fitness, just like their mother. She was always seen in some type of track suit or fitness based outfit, but today she obviously didn't have any choice but to wear a dress. Adelaide was wearing a short black dress covered with a loud flowery print that hugged her muscular frame.

Avis wiped tears out of her eyes. "Adelaide! How could you? Why did you stay away so long?" she joked in a trembling voice. Adelaide squeezed her hand. "Work is hectic, the kids are crazy, y'know?" Avis nodded, understanding. 

Adelaide had 6 year old twin girls, Trinity and Nevaeh. Adelaide hooked her thumb in the direction of the kitchen door that led out to the backyard. "They're outside, playing in the sprinkler with the other kids." Adelaide turned to the oven and pulled out a GIANT 4 layer cheesecake. The smell of it made the hole in Avis' chest grow. "So that's why you didn't want Mom in here." she said, laughing, trying to endure the pain. She felt a hot flash of anger. 

Adelaide beamed brightly. "You bet."

Soon, Avis and Adelaide had the cheesecake decorated with pale purple buttercream frosting and edible candied violets. Beatrix was still forbidden from entering the kitchen, much to her disappointment and frustration. Bea still couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed in. Avis looked into the living room to see Phoenix playing with his cousin, Lakeysha, who was just a few months older than him.

 Her coal black hair was braided into cornrows with sparkly green and white beads. Avis suddenly remembered that the invitation said the theme was "Spring Flowers". She was glad that she accidently chose the dress she was wearing. Avis had completely forgotten what the theme of the party was. 

Lakeysha's mom, Ayla, who was Avis and Adelaide's younger sister, was supervising the two babies along with her husband, Lenox, who looked strikingly like Tyrrell. Avis looked away, not wanting to be rude (or weird).