.05

C H A P T E R  F I V E
_________________________

        Harry has to be at work by nine a.m. the next morning when Niall decides to go and return his library books, much to Niall's dissatisfaction. The night before, Niall had considered allowing the books to become overdue until Harry could return them on his own time, but the blond decided last minute that he does not want to upset the sweet librarian at The Cambridge Public Library. Niall begs Harry to call in sick and return the books while he stays home and plays ball with Annie, but Harry insists that Niall pluck up the courage to go himself.

Harry ensures Niall that it will be a good learning experience for the blond. Besides, Niall adores checking out books from the library and nothing should prevent him from doing so.

Niall eventually agrees, but he is bothered by the sick feeling he has in his stomach. He knows, deep down, that it is important to come to terms with Louis not calling and basically blowing him off after showing considerable interest in Niall. It is even more important to face the issue and go about his business as if he never bumped into Louis in the first place. The two of them can both exist and attend the library without having to interact. Niall cannot even see Louis, so as long as Louis minds his own business, it should not be a problem.

Niall knows that he will still notice Louis's presence though; his hearing and sense of smell are extremely enhanced since he lacks eyesight. He knows he will hear Louis's slightly high-pitched voice mingling with the smell of sandalwood and citrus in the air. In addition, he will probably think of Louis every time he runs his fingers along the bumps of the brail book spines, remembering how Louis had done the same thing when trying to find The Great Gatsby for Niall. The blond has this way of remembering every person he has ever met very vividly. He cannot picture them in his mind, so he replays hints of their existence in his head every now and then. His therapist says it is a form of muscle memory.

In this instance, it is definitely a disadvantage for Niall.

Niall sighs and makes sure to brush his hair out before he heads down to the library. If Louis is going to be there, Niall wants him to see what he is missing out on. He then takes eight steps out of his bathroom, does the routine run-along the top of his mattress, and then takes ten steps to reach his bedroom door. He loses his footing a bit on the way down the stairs, but it is not enough to send him tumbling, just enough to make his skin heat up and his heart skip a beat. Once downstairs he calls Annie, who is sleeping in her dog bed next to the sofa.

"Venez ici," he instructs, patting his thigh a bit. He hears the familiar jingle-jangle of Annie's dog tag and smiles.

When she reaches him, Niall finds her collar and works his way down her neck until he reaches the beginning of her leash. He slowly, so as to not hurt her, slides his hands along the rope until he reaches the end, which he loops around his wrist. Martha informed him he could get a more practical, harness-type lead with a metal handle on the back, but Niall has not gotten around to picking one up.

"Marche," Niall tells Annie when he is confident that they are ready to set out, even though the uneasiness in his stomach is getting worse. Annie brushes against his side multiple times as they head out the door and make their way down the sidewalk, attempting to comfort him.

Niall thinks it is amazing how Annie can easily sense any switch in his emotions. Dogs are so unique, especially when they have been very well trained. He honestly does not know how he went so long without having a service dog. Annie has already impressed him so much and he has only had her for a single day.

Niall decides to take his time and enjoy his walk to the library. It is a pretty nice day outside; the air is surprisingly warm, but there is a chilly wind that blows every now and again. Niall does not mind it a bit. He has grown to enjoy most sensations of nature. He even tolerates a bit of rain every now and then. He is not sure how Annie prefers the weather, but he assumes she is content because her wagging tail hits the back of his legs as they move along.