.20

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y
______________________

       "Happy Birthday."

The words reach Niall's ears as soon as he opens his front door, and they sound like a distant memory as his brain stores the sentence away.

He can feel Harry's gaze on him, but it is not the same fiery gaze he felt when he told Harry that he needed space. It is easy this time, and Niall does not shift uncomfortably when he feels Harry's hand pat his shoulder.

It has been nearly three years since the fallout, and with the help of text messaging and brief meetings in public, the two boys have become more comfortable around each other again. Niall now shares a rekindled friendship with Harry that he was not sure they would ever achieve. He has attempted to forget and forgive the curly-haired boy's actions over time and, though it has been very hard on his mental health, he has succeeded for the most part.

They are not nearly as close as they used to be, but it is a step in the right direction.

"Hello, Niall. Happy Birthday!"

The enthusiastic words follow Harry into the home, and Niall smiles because he adores Adam's upbeat personality.

Adam is Harry's new boyfriend.

He is an extremely down-to-earth guy who has effectively helped Harry to get over his feelings for Niall.

The blond can still vividly remember the first time he met Adam; the bloke was training service dogs at the Human Resource Center when Niall took Annie to visit. Adam was extremely polite upon meeting him and had helpful answers when Niall questioned about Annie's strange sleeping schedule.

After a couple of encounters with the kind fellow, Niall was happy to hear that Adam was going steady with Harry.

Louis tells him all the time that Harry and Adam look good together. Apparently they are equal in height and have the same, wide, cheesy grin.

Then there is Louis; the absolute light of Niall's life. The lad has since graduated college and now works as an assistant teacher at a primary school about four miles from their shared flat. He hopes to become an actual, full time teacher soon, but he keeps telling Niall he has to wait his turn.

Niall knows he will advance quickly; Louis is wonderful at everything he does.

The blond can feel Louis brush against his shoulder as he prepares the table for Niall's birthday. He smiles because he knows it is intentional.

"Your cake is in front of you, love. Don't stick your hand in it."

"I just might," Niall teases.

"Not after I spent all afternoon baking it."

Louis gets right up in his face and Niall giggles. The brunette allows a smile to grace his lips, pure love shining in his eyes as he places a chaste kiss to Niall's mouth before heading into the kitchen to get a lighter for the candles.

"How does it feel to be 27, Niall?" Adam asks.

Niall laughs breathlessly and shakes his head.