.06

C H A P T E R  S I X
________________________

"Niall,

        First of all, I would like to apologize.

       I want you to know that I am sorry for knocking you over when we met.

      I'm also sorry for every time I didn't tell you that you have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen and that I adore the way you look at me.

     I wish I could go back in time and alter every instance where I let my nervousnesses get the best of me during our conversations.

    I regret not telling you how I truly felt the day I read the Great Gatsby to you. I honestly could have continued forever because of how right it felt.

    I'm sorry I left this note with Rebecca instead of telling you myself.

But..

     Most importantly, I want to apologize for any harm that I caused to your feelings.

       I'm an idiot and I screwed up. I left my phone at my sisters' dance studio and I'm pretty sure it was stolen or thrown away or something because it wasn't there when I retraced my steps. It would be selfish of me to ask you to be understanding of what happened, considering it is my own fault, but I'm hoping you won't be too furious at me after you read this letter.

         I can't imagine what was going through your head that night. I'm sure you were thinking some pretty horrible things about me, and I don't blame you because I did too. You have every right to be upset. I'm not going to deny you that right because it is well deserved after what I put you through.

          I promise that none of it had anything to do with you. I hope you didn't think for a second that you were the reason I didn't call. I was so angry with myself when I considered the idea of you being upset with yourself over it. It made me feel like a complete asshole.

          You are the most captivating person I have ever met and I really hope that you will allow me to see you again. I don't want what we started to be over.

          If you want to talk to me, and I desperately hope that you do, you can contact me at my new number: 765-0059.

P.s. I checked out the Great Gatsby again so I can continue reading it to you. I hope you don't mind.

                                         Signed, Louis."

Harry clears his throat when he finishes reading because the area around his vocal chords feels scratchy from talking out loud for so long. It reminds him of secondary school, when the teacher would call on him to read and he would choke a little as his throat closed up from nervousness. Harry felt a similar feeling when Niall presented him the letter from Louis, insisting that he read it to him.

He had no idea that Niall and Louis were so close. After reading the letter, he would not be surprised if Niall confessed they had actually been seeing each other for weeks. Louis talks to Niall like he has known him for years; like he has no emotional barriers when it comes to the blond. No wonder Niall was so upset when he did not receive Louis's call.

As for Niall, the blond is silent for a good minute or two after Harry finishes reading. He twiddles his thumbs and replays the letter's contents in his head over and over as he processes what he has just heard. Niall spent three sleepless nights trying to draft the letter in his mind, but could not contain his curiosity and finally built up the courage to ask Harry to read it to him. After hearing its contents, Niall wishes he would have asked sooner.