.18 (Warning: Smut)

C H A P T E R  E I G H T E E N
_______________________

       "How did it go?"

Louis asks Niall the question as soon as the blond enters his flat. He can tell that Niall has been crying; his eyes are red and puffy and, no matter how hard he tries to contain his little sniffles, one slips out every couple of seconds.

"It went a little better than I expected," Niall admits. "I knew I would cry, but I held the tears off for the majority of the conversation."

"And Harry?" Louis asks, curious.

"He seemed pretty torn up."

"Interesting."

It is hard for Louis to imagine Harry feeling solemn about the whole situation after he was able to lie and connive against Niall so extensively. Louis knows Liam has mastered the art of deceit, and he was not sure how much knowledge of the trade that Harry had received from the brown-eyed lad.

Niall takes his memorized steps to Louis's couch. He feels around for the brunette and giggles when he brushes a hand out right against his chin.

"Oi, that's my face, love."

Niall laughs again, but so does Louis, and the brunette then welcomes Niall beside him on the couch. The blond snuggles into his side with his head on Louis's shoulder, little hiccups racking his body every now and then.

"Do you feel a little better now that Harry has explained himself?"

Louis does not want Niall to have to go into detail. The blond's conversation with Harry is private. Louis trusts Niall to tell him what he should know and not keep any valuable secrets from him.

"Yes, and no." Niall sighs. "I don't think I was prepared for the truth. Now I feel like everyone in my life has always wanted to keep me trapped and hidden away, including Harry."

It is something Niall has been pondering for the last couple of days; the fact that, just like his parents, Harry has wished to shelter him from the world. The only difference is that his parents wanted to send him away to a private school so no one in their town would know him, while Harry wanted the blond all to himself. Niall finds the selfishness ridiculous in both cases, regardless of the defensive arguments he has heard in favor of either side.

"Sometimes people make dumb mistakes for the ones they love," Louis provides, his hand now stroking Niall's thigh comfortingly. "They don't know how to handle their own emotions and so they end up acting rashly and hurting feelings along the way."

Niall frowns at that and lifts his head from Louis's shoulder, turning to face the brunette.

"You won't do it to me, will you?"

"Keep you trapped?"

"Yes."

"Well, if you ever hide your precious blue eyes from me again—"

"Louis!" Niall chuckles, and Louis is so happy to see him smile again.

It pains the brunette to see Niall look so sad. Louis never wants to be the one to put tears on the beautiful boy's face. He wants to protect the blond from any and all things that can possibly hurt him.