.07

C H A P T E R S E V EN
_______________________

"And as I sat there, brooding on the old unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night."

Niall and Louis's reading sessions are quite common whenever they find time to spend together. It has been two weeks since they met up in the diner and they have grown quite close since then. Louis is busy with college and volunteering at the library, but he makes time around his schedule to see Niall at least every other day. He will invite him to the library for his lunch or plan time at Rita's diner so they can relax and read, and Niall complies every time. He adores listening to the soft lull of Louis's voice.

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter— tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... And one fine morning—"

Niall is disheartened that the book is coming to an end. He adores the novel, especially since Louis has read the entire thing to him. Niall knows that any continuation of the storyline would hold no significance in his mind without Jay Gatsby, but he struggles to accept that soon Louis's reading will be no more. Louis brings Gatsby to life as he reads, and Niall now feels a personal connection to the character that he has never felt with another story before.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, and are borne back ceaselessly into the past."

As Louis finishes the last sentence and closes the book, Niall feels tears stinging behind his eyes. The book was absolutely stunning.

"Wow," Niall says. "What a beautiful tragedy."

Louis nods. "It is inspirational. It teaches us the true meaning of the American dream. It's something I always wondered, growing up in the UK; what makes Americans love their homeland so much? The Great Gatsby teaches us it's the opportunity and the ability to live a fulfilling life."

"It isn't about money," Niall agrees, nodding his head.

"Not at all. That's the perspective though, especially from the outside."

"It's the opportunity.." Niall repeats Louis's words, fascinated by the analysis. English was always his favorite subject in school, so he loves to pick apart the meanings in literature piece by piece. "The green light is opportunity. The green light is the American dream."

"Precisely," Louis says, smiling.

Louis loves how Niall's eyes are wide with wonder and fascination. Every face the blond makes gives him this uncontrollable urge to grab his cheeks and kiss his lips, finally allowing Niall to feel him in an intimate way. It sounds a little corny, but they have been seeing each other for two weeks now and Louis has made no move to advance their relationship. They have held hands a time or two, but only briefly. Louis wants to give Niall time to warm up to him before he does anything too rash, especially after the phone incident. He wants to be sure that his intentions are not misconstrued.

"It's about love too," Louis says, despite his conflicting thoughts, his heart racing.

Niall's face falls a bit after that. He feels nervous all of a sudden and gulps, his throat dry. The theme is an obvious one in the story, but Niall feels anxious to discuss that particular topic.