Chapter 2 - The Academy

Death.

Death is the permanent cessation of all biological functions that sustain a living organism. One of the challenges in defining death is in distinguishing it from life. As a point in time, death would seem to refer to the moment at which life ends. Determining when death has occurred is difficult, as the cessation of life functions is often not simultaneous across organ systems. It is possible to define life in terms of consciousness. When consciousness ceases, a living organism can be said to have died. One of the flaws in this approach is that there are many organisms which are alive but probably not conscious. To me, death is something one cannot escape. It is eventually where the living ceases to exist as it reached its end.

So why am I alive?

Imagine my relief when it was Momo's face who greeted me when I woke up. It must've all been a dream- no, a nightmare.

"Momo, I'm so glad you're okay," I smiled at her.

"Why wouldn't I be okay?" She chuckled.

I laughed with her, "Yeah, I suppose I'm grateful that it was all just a nightmare,"

It then confused me when Momo stiffened at hearing my words. I saw a look of worry passed her eyes as she suddenly became anxious while trying to avoid my eyes at the same time. I've known Momo since we were little and I could honestly say that I can read her as easily as an open book.

"Momo, there's something you're not telling me," I stated.

The more the silence grew, the more I get anxious. Did I say something wrong?

It was then that I started to notice my surroundings. The room that I was in was unfamiliar, it smells like a hospital room, the room is white and clean. I looked at myself to see me wearing a clean and fresh pair of clothes and my eyes then widened as an image of my abdomen having a hole appeared on my mind.

"Oh my god," My breath quickened as I reached for the bottom end of my shirt.

"No, Sana don't touch-," It was too late for Momo to stop me as I raised my shirt up to my chest to see a bloodied bandage on my abdominal area. When I peeled the bandage off, I grew further confused when fair and smooth skin greeted me, how can this be? The bandage was full of blood.

"It wasn't a dream," I muttered with great disbelief. One after another, images began to surface, red eyes, fangs, glowing silver eyes, growls, rain, and blood.

"Sana-"

"Oh my god, Momo!" I watched her in horror, "What are you? Where's Eve? Where am I? And why am I alive?" I exclaimed in panic.

Momo stood up to reach me yet I cowered from her touch, "Tell me something! Deny it or lie to me, pretend it's all okay!" I shouted.

"Sana please, you have to calm down," She said in a soft pleading voice.

I was about to let out another cry when the door opens, a girl with pale white skin and ash blue hair made her presence known. Seeing her kind smile made me feel a little bit calmer.

"What's going on?" She cautiously asked.

Momo was about to speak but I beat her to it, "Someone has to explain what the hell is going on!" I exclaimed.

Both girls looked at me in surprise, "Sana, it's hard to understand-"

"Then please, Momo," I released an exasperated sigh, "Make me understand," I told her.

The pale girl awkwardly cleared her throat, "I'll let them know she's awake," She told Momo as her eyes looked at me and I couldn't help but stare back when her eyes lingered longer on mine. She nodded at Momo then gave me a small smile before walking out of the room.