Chapter 15 - Disaster

I don't know if I should feel relieved or not when I'm not the first one to fight. A part of me was itching to just go and get this all over with but another part of me is scared out of her wits, wishing to push back the impending disaster as long as she could.

The first five battles were intense, especially when a vampire and a werewolf is pit against each other, I'm suddenly reminded of Jeongyeon's words about the ego battle between the vampires and werewolves. Nayeon and Momo who have somewhat been tamed by Jihyo since we started working with each other seemed to be fired up whenever a member of their coven or pack wins, it was amusing to see them bicker and taunt each other.

There are three rules in this round, first, a win is considered when the opponent is knocked out or thrown away off the stage. Second, there will be no killing, Third, gifts are allowed to be used on their full potential.

A sound buzzed again, indicating that the current match was over with a vampire named, Jin, as a victor against the werewolf, Dino. Nayeon laughed loudly as she cheered before giving Momo a smug smile.

"That's four wins for the vampires!" Nayeon grinned and I smiled at her contagious energy, even I can't help but cheer.

A quarrel between Nayeon and Momo was interupted when the call for the next fight began. My eyes widened in terror when I heard Momo's name, I turned to look at her, only to see her already standing confidently while smiling at the other werewolves cheering for her. Momo walked up the the stage, she threw a reassuring look towards me before squaring her shoulders and waited for her opponent to be announced. A tall, built man stepped into the stage, he was buff and looked intimidating, Momo looked so small compared to him. The girls around me stiffened when they saw the him, Nayeon even hissed when she recognized him. Cheers roared around the arena when they saw who he is, I tuned in to the whispers around me.

"That's Shownu, I heard he was detained for killing a fellow student in a fit of rage."

"He's the Alpha that wasn't ranked because of his unstable personality right?"

"Isn't he the one who was punished for killing another alpha at the duel between alphas?"

"He's a monster!"

I clenched my hand in hard fists, "If he's so dangerous, why is he here?" I hissed at my friends.

"I didn't know he's still around," Chaeyoung growled, "The last information we have on him was that he was taken away after the bloodbath he caused at the duel."

"He was taken by the council," Nayeon spoke, "I'm impressed that they've done their research."

We look at Nayeon who gave us all a hard stare, "They're making their first move on Momo," Nayeon's eyes gleamed, "Sana's best friend."

I gasp in horror and before I could stand up, there were hands gripping my arm on both sides. Mina's cold touch on my right and Dahyun's warm hand on my left, their grip was tight, stopping me from my outburst.

"Momo can handle this," Dahyun spoke softly at me, her blue eyes piercing. Mina remained silent but her hand squeezed my arm reassuringly.

She better be. I don't know what I would do if something wrong happens to Momo. I just know that my sanity is on the line.

The arena is full of tense silence when we heard the bell signaling the start of the battle go off. I won't even be surprised if everyone is holding their breaths, I know I did. Shownu emits the image of calm, he was just casually standing there, a small smile playing on his lips as he looked around, but his eye were sharp and searching, there was something ominous about him. Momo, on the other hand, I've never seen her so serious in the years that I've known her, the Momo I know is usually laid back, sweet, kind, and playful, this Momo on stage, however, is scary. Momo dropped into what I now recognize is her fighting stance, right leg behind her left one, knees bend a little bit, both arms raised mid high with her fists clenched.