Chapter 6: Reveal

Emma's POV

   I look up and then down at our hands, clasped together.

   "Emma?"  Ethan says. I look up again to see him glaring at me. He looks scared, nervous. He takes his available hand and scratches the back of his neck.

   "Yeah?" I say.

   Ethan looks toward the sunset. "Can we go somewhere, quickly?"

   "I mean..." I hesitate. "Sure, but I have to be back in an hour, it's Christmas tomorrow, you know?"

   He laughs. "That'll be fine," Ethan says.

   We go back to his car, drive for about thirty minutes and then reach a field, with beautiful purple flowers.

   It's a hill, over flowed with flowers. Ethan takes my hand and pulls me up the hill. I love the feeling of my hand in his.

   At the top of the hill, we can see that whole sunset. It's like a painting of reds, yellows, purples.  Ethan looks up at me as I go in front of him.

   He grabs my hands from behind and twirls me to face him. God, I love this boy. Does he like me too?

     No. I can't think that. It's going to destroy our relationship. It would be nice though.

     I look up into his eyes. "Hi," I say with a laugh.

     Ethan's POV

I have to tell her. Right here. Right now.

     I take a deep breath. "Emma, I like you."

     Her eyes go wide and she blushes a little. "Ethan..." Emma says quietly. I get closer to her. She doesn't move.

     I grasp her cheek and put my other hand around her waist, pulling her closer. I lean down to her and our lips meet.

    Emma pulls away. "Ethan, I like you too," she says. She looks as if she's about the cry. I kiss her again.

I'm filled with joy. Emma pulls away again. "But Ethan, I don't want to ruin our friendship. What if something happens?" She says. Tears stream down her face.

"Nothing will happen Emma," I tell her softly. "I like you, and you like me. Nothing will ever change that."

Emma smiles a little, through her tears. She looks towards the sunset and leans on my chest. I pull her to me and wrap my arms around her.

Emma's POV

Ethan likes me. Ethan-Dolan-Likes-Me.

I lean into him and we both look at the sunset. "How?" I ask.

"How what?" he asks.

"How do you like me? Why do you like me?" I respond. I look up at him, my head still leaning on his chest.

"Because you're perfect," Ethan says. "You're the one person I ever needed. And I didn't realize that until today."

     He looks down at me and smiles. "Can we keep this under wraps for now?" I said.

     "Whatever you want," he says happily.

I'm so confused. "I need to think about this, about us," I say.

He repeats himself again. "Whatever you want."

I turn to him and kiss him before I drag him back down the hill again.

Ethan's POV

I did it. I actually did it. I look down at my hands clasped in hers as we get into my jeep.

We get to her house. I loop around the hood of my car to open the door for her.

"Hey beautiful," I chuckle as I lean on the car door.

I grasp Emma's face again and give a kiss. Her face turns bright pink and she smiles.

"I have to go," she says. Emma hugs me so tight, and I hug her back. I place my head on top of her hair and stroke it with my other hand.

Emma walks away and looks back to me when she unlocks her door. She smiles. I love it.

     I got back into my jeep and put my hands onto the steering wheel.

     I thought about Emma the whole way home. About us.

     I pulled into my driveway and parked in my usual parking spot. I lifted my hands off the wheel, revealing two tan, skin-color spots on the wheel.

     "What the..." I said. I touched it. It seems like some sort of powder. It couldn't be from Emma though. She barley ever wears makeup.

     Emma's POV

     I walked into my apartment, immediately went upstairs and sprinted into the bathroom.

     Crap. Some of the powder came off. Ethan didn't say anything. So I guess he didn't see? I check the mark on my cheek. It turned from red to bluish purple.

     I wash my face and dive into my bed. "I'll take a 10 minute nap," I said to myself.

     I rested my eyes for ten seconds. Then, the phone rang.