Chapter 7: Bruises

Emma's POV

"E?" I say when I pick up the phone.

"Were you wearing any makeup today?" Ethan says. Crap. "Like powder or?"

"Umm," I say. How can i respond to that?

"Emma?" he says.

"Can you come over?" I quickly mutter.

"Emma, it's late," he says hesitantly.

"Please, I need to tell you something."

He pauses. "I guess..." I here him gather his bag and walk out the door.

I hang up. I have to tell him about Daniella. How she hurt me. I can't keep it hidden in the dark forever.

A knock echos throughout my apartment. I rush down the stairs and swing the door open.

Ethan comes inside and I lead him to the seating area in front of my window.

"So what's so important?" he says. leaning closer to me.

"Wait." He touches my cheek, where the purple bruise is on my face. "Emma, what's this?"

     "Ethan..." I get up from my chair and head to the kitchen. Ethan speed walks after me. He grabs my waist and twirls me around to face him.

He grasps my cheek, gently. "What happened?" Ethan says, worried.

I have to tell him, but the words hesitate to come out of my mouth. "I-I fell," I said, turning away.

"You couldn't have gotten that from falling," he says. He still is cupping my face, like I was the most delicate thing in the atmosphere.

"Fine," I say. I start crying. I don't know why or how. It just happens.

"Emma, what's going on?" Ethan says. He hugs me and I wet his shirt with my tears.

     "Daniella... came to my apartment and punched me. In the face," I say through my tears.

Ethan looked down at me, his eyes go wide.

"W-Why would she..." he says, obviously angry. He lets go of me and bursts for his phone.

     "Ethan don't," I say, trying to sound calm.

     "That's not right, she deserves to be screamed at," Ethan says. His face is red.

     "This is why I didn't want to tell you. I knew this would happen." I plop down on my orange chair and hang my head in my hands.

     "Emma..." I hear. Ethan pulls me up from the chair and embraces me. His gives the best hugs.

"I'm sorry, I'm such an idiot," I say.

"No, you're not. I'm the idiot. I just made you more upset by getting angry."

We hug for a while. It's late. Midnight.

"Hey Ethan, I think you should get going. It's late," I say.

"Could I stay for the night actually? I'll leave early so you won't even see me in the morning," Ethan says.

Ethan's POV

"Umm," Emma says. She hesitates. "I guess that's fine."

"Okay," I say. "I'll sleep on the floor."

"You can sleep in my bed if you want," she says. "I don't have a air mattress."

"Are you sure you're comfortable with that?" I ask.

"Yeah just don't try anything," Emma says laughing.

We go upstairs and she goes into the bathroom.

I take my shirt off and get under a blanket. I want to respect her privacy so I don't get under the covers.

Emma comes out of the bathroom in a white tee-shirt and shorts. It doesn't matter what she wears anymore, she's so beautiful.

She crawls under the covers and I feel the need to ask this. "Emma, do you want to be my girlfriend?" I ask. The bed shifts. She turns to me.

"Yes," she says with a smile. "I will be your girlfriend Ethan."

Emma's POV

I've been thinking about it for the whole day. I'm in love with him. I'm in love with Ethan Dolan.

He smiles and I get closer to him. I fall asleep in his arms.

I wake up still in his arms, it's 6:12 am. I pretend to sleep when he's awake. I'm dating Ethan Dolan.

I hear him get up and slip his shirt back on. He kisses me on the head as he leaves.

     This was the best night of my life. But I didn't know what was yet to come.