Chapter 20: After

4 years later, 2024

Emma's phone rang. She quickly got dressed and ran downstairs to pick up.

It was Ethan. She smiled. "Hey Ethan, what's up?"

"Can you meet me around 6?" Ethan said.

Emma laughed. "It's 5:46 Ethan."

Ethan groaned and Emma laughed again. "Fine, fine. Where?"

"At the beach." Ethan said. His voice was shaken and nervous. "I-It's a surprise."

"Is everything okay E?" Emma said. "You seem nervous?"

"Yeah, I'm fine babe. I had dairy accidentally this morning, that's all."

"Okay, I'll see you there. I love you"

"I love you too." He hung up and Emma walked up stairs to get her sundress on. It was hot today. The sun was starting to set. Pinks, reds and purples filled the sky. It was like a painting made especially for humanity to see.

       Emma grabbed her keys and raced to her car. She thought of all the things Ethan could have planned. She opened her car and rode to the beach as fast as she could.

       Luckily, it wasn't a busy day, surprisingly. She spotted Ethan on the sand, watching the waves crash onto the shore.

       Ethan!" she yelled, waving to him frantically.

       He turned around and Emma could see him smile.

       Emma started running towards him as fast as she could. She was tired but ran anyway.

       She basically jumped in his arms and they laughed.

      "So what's this big surprise mister," Emma chuckled.

      Ethan took her hand and looked down.

      "Emma, I love you." He turned and cupped her face in his hand.

      "You dragged me all the way down here just to tell me that?" Emma laughed again, making Ethan smile.

      "I know we're young, and we want to have fun while it lasts," Ethan said looking at the sunset. "But I never want to be away from you again."

       He looked back to Emma, and slowly got down on one knee. "Emma, you are my soulmate, the love of my life. And I want to spend the rest of my life with you."

       "Oh my god, Ethan." Emma covered her mouth, tears filling her eyes.

       "Emma Frances Chamberlain, will you marry me?"

      He pulled out a ring with the most beautiful diamond Emma had ever seen. The sunset reflected off of the crystal, making it even more beautiful.

      Emma, with tears streaming down her face, nodded. "Yes Ethan, I will marry you."

      Ethan, eyes glistening as well, got up and took her into his arms. He picked her up and swung her around. Their happiness and laughter filled the empty beach, as they watched the sunset, holding each other, knowing that they will never be apart, ever again.

authors note:

hey, thank you. thank you to everyone who supported me through this entire story. this story changed my life, and even though "ethma" may not be a thing now, it will always exist in this story and in my heart.

now, i'm writing a new story :) it may or may not be a fan fiction. but i need you guys to decide that. if anyone has any ideas or even a ship to write on, comment or message me.

again, thank you. <3

-carson