IX

M

"Drug wars rage on as the ongoing dispute between the Enviago Cartel and other gangs local to Atlantic City and Jersey city devastate communities—" the news reporter's voice sounded from Loretta's radio before she changed the channel. "Damien Moretti, alleged mobster and member of the Moretti Famiglia brought into custody for the murder of—" Loretta once again reached her hand out to change channels before deciding to turn off her radio.

"Peaceful times never seem to last in this place." Loretta sighed heavily, turning around to glance at me. With a sad smile, she parted her lips to say, "How're you holding up?"

I shrugged my shoulders, trying my best to show that I wasn't affected but that was far from the truth. "I'm fine Lolo, why wouldn't I be?"

She shot me a deadpanned look, not buying my response. "Mina.." she trailed off, resting the napkin she had in hand onto the counter before approaching me. "You're shaken up. I mean you practically came in looking over both of your shoulders, bambina..."

She wasn't wrong. I was scared out of my mind—scared that the police would come for me next. It wasn't everyday that you bare witness to an arrest—especially to someone you liked. Then again, it was to be expected considering the life Damien lived.

It had been two days since it all went down and I hadn't heard word from Damien yet. I worried for his well-being as well as my own. News spread once again like wildfire regarding Damien's arrest and my name was tied to it, seeing as I was there when it happened.

I couldn't ignore the stares I would get when I walked around town. Everybody seemed to be watching me and it felt like my close proximity to Damien was being taken as a form of affiliation to his lifestyle.

The price I paid for throwing caution to the wind.

I was weary again and so I decided it was best to keep my distance until things died down.

However that was proving to be difficult.

Since the police had Damien in custody, they had no reason to linger around in the spots Damien and his men frequented, which meant the mobsters were back in business.

The restaurant was filled with them today. There was hardly any locals. I spotted the likes of Roberto and Sergio when I entered at the start of my shift. They were later joined by a few others who I recognised to be Leo and Ricardo.

"Look Lolo, I'm fine. Okay? I'll be fine." I assured her, earning a low grumble in response. She still didn't believe me, hell, I didn't even believe myself. "I'll take a few orders, I'll be back in a minute."

Picking up my notepad and pen, I left the kitchen before she could protest. I went around from table to table, doing well to ignore one table in particular filled with men who were eyeing me closely.

So far, nobody wanted anything and it made me wonder why they were even here. I figured this was the form of protection Loretta received for her business deal with Damien. Though, the protection was quite excessive.

I was about to retreat to the back when I heard a voice call out to me. "Mina." Roberto spoke up and I froze on the spot.

Cursing at my luck, I whirled on my heels to face him and the others before steadily approaching. "Hello," I greeted them all, earning a chorus of low replies.

"Mina, it's been quite some time. You wouldn't be ignoring us now, would you?" Roberto chimed with that same warm grin. I sheepishly shook my head, and his grin broadened. "How're you?"

"I'm good, and you?" I replied.

"All good over here." He leaned forward in his seat, resting his elbows on the table. I looked over his rugged features for a moment before darting my gaze to the others seated amongst him.