XXXIII

D

Slouched in my seat as Sergio dealt us cards to play another round of blackjack with Ricardo and two other of our associates, I took a moment to look at my cards.

As the game progressed, my mind wandered aimlessly, my thoughts lingering on Mina. The guilt was eating me alive and I couldn't stop thinking about her even if I wanted to.

I just wanted to hear her voice again and to make sure she was doing alright but with her ultimatum standing, I knew what had to be done first.

Antonia had to be dealt with.

I tolerated her disrespect for too long. Her belief that our past history was a crutch for her to get away with a majority of that same disrespect was a crumbling shroud.

I would be burning bridges by taking care of her once and for all but those bridges didn't compare to the world that Mina meant to me.

Before Leo had left me yesterday, I gave him the important task of having some of my guys pay Antonia's parents a visit—as well as Antonia. It would be a bold move to kill them all at once and I knew that, so I decided to spare their fate until after my release. However, I ordered them to be dealt with accordingly in whatever way Leo saw fit.

He would get back to me later this week about how that went.

I knew my father wouldn't approve, especially now that news had broken out about Antonia and I having a possible marriage. It was supposedly hinted at the party held last night, something I was made aware of through text.

I could only imagine how Mina reacted. God if she didn't hate me already, this surely confirmed it.

I was getting fed up with my father and his sneaky antics—though I was led to believe that they weren't truly his to begin with. Edoardo was in his ear and he was being as loud as ever.

What did he gain by doing all of this? What was the end goal here? I had so many questions regarding this situation, all of which remained unanswered.

Ricardo waved his hand, asking Sergio to hit him with more cards until he said he would stay. The game continued on, my turn coming round until I chose to stay with my own cards.

Returning back to Sergio he grinned as he stared at his cards. "I got a very good hand here." He mused.

"Shut up and show it." Jimmy muttered, throwing his cards down, the rest of us following. With us all under the number eighteen, Sergio was the last to set his cards down with a toothy grin.

He got twenty.

"You lucky shit." Stevie kissed his teeth, watching Sergio take his winnings much to our displeasure.

"Look who's cheatin' now.." Ricardo grumbled making Sergio roll his eyes.

"Sucks to get fucked—" he celebrated his winnings with a shit-eating grin, his moment of celebration only coming to an abrupt end when his sights zeroed in on something. "Aye, aye.." he lowly pointed out, nodding his head in the direction behind us where Santiago was seated.

He stood up with his men, making their way towards us. A determined look gleamed in his eyes as he approached with an entourage to match our numbers.

I clenched my hand into a fist on the table, not knowing what exactly to expect.

My men readjusted their positions in their seats. Ricardo, who sat closest to my right, picked up a card to fold discreetly into a pointed object while the others rested their hands to their laps in anticipation.

"You boys having a good time in my prison?" Santiago spoke up after stopping by my left side, dragging a seat for himself. Sitting down he grinned as he looked between my men and I.