XII

M

"Giovanni!" I heard Melissa shriek as I walked past the closed bathroom. Gio's giddy laughter could be heard paired with the splashing sounds of water as his mother gave him a bath. "Stop splashing—"

I'd woken up late this morning, missing out on the chance to see Melissa arrive home from work.

After speaking with Damien yesterday, it was still awkward between both Melissa and I but for the sake of Gio, we agreed to be cordial—more so I did. She didn't say much to me aside from goodbye once she had to leave for work, leaving me to babysit Gio.

I hoped today would be different.

Taking my seat at the small dining table where a plate of breakfast awaited me, I ate in silence, waiting for Melissa to make an appearance.

By the time she stepped out of the bathroom with a hyper Gio, I'd already finished my food and sat by the living room watching tv.

I glanced over my shoulder to see her walk down the hallway towards her room before closing the door behind her.

She was still ignoring me.

Letting out a sigh as I propped my leg up to rest my chin to my knee, my head lolled to the side in deep thought.

What was the point of sticking around here if I was no longer welcome? It was clear to me that Melissa was still upset over the situation and I wasn't sure when she'd get over it.

Was it best to just leave without resolving the issue?

Whenever we argued over little things, we always ended up fixing things between us but this wasn't a little thing.

This was different.

Scrolling through the channels absentmindedly, I settled on a random crime tv show before my mind wandered off again.

Today was Sunday. Melissa was of course attending mass with her son Gio and I was still contemplating on going. Considering our fallout, I figured it would be awkward to go even though I wanted to for the sake of seeing Damien again.

I didn't exactly take church worthy attire with me when planning my departure, so that was another dilemma of mine.

"Gio!" My attention was piqued and I looked over to see Gio approaching me at full speed. "Gio, wait I'm not done doing your hair." Melissa called after him as she stepped out of her room.

"Aunty Mimi!" He exclaimed, rounding the couch to jump into my arms. I smiled down at him, wrapping my arms around him before lifting him up to sit on my lap.

"Hello Gio." I enthused back, taking in his patterned button up and dark pants. "Don't you look handsome." I squeezed at his cheek, making him giggle.

Hearing Melissa approach from behind me, I craned my neck back to see her giving her son a look of disapproval paired with a hint of amusement. "He would be even more handsome if he'd let me finish his hair."

She made an attempt to take him from my arms but Gio slipped from my hold, now giddily running around the small living room.

Melissa let out a sigh, waving a dismissive hand at her son's hyper behaviour before she flopped down beside me, much to my surprise.

It was quiet between us for a moment, the sounds of Gio's play and the background noise of the tv playing being the only thing to fill it.

"So, are you ready then?" Melissa initiated the conversation. I wasn't sure what she meant by that. Maybe she wanted to finally talk and resolve the issue between us—at least I hoped.