XXXVII

D

Arriving at the manor, my presence didn't go unnoticed as I was quickly bombarded by my mother who met me in the large foyer.

"Damien!" She greeted me with a warm smile, moving to embrace me briefly while kissing both of my cheeks. She held my face in her smaller hands, taking in my expression and the warmth in my eyes.

"Hey mamma," I returned, momentarily stepping away from her. She looked around me, her eyes searching for something before her lips pulled into a frown.

"You didn't bring Mina?" Her disappointment was apparent as she looped her arms loosely with mine, guiding me to the parlour where she and my aunts were seated gossiping amongst themselves.

"She was tired." I simply said, earning an eyebrow raise.

"You leave that poor girl alone." She tutted with a knowing look making me chuckle. I turned my attention to my aunts, greeting them all individually before engaging in light conversation with them all.

"I hear you're going to propose to Mina? Have you bought the ring yet?" My aunt Marianna chimed in after the last topic of our conversation changed.

I look to my mother, shooting her a scowl knowing she was probably the one to spread my plans for this upcoming week. My mother only sheepishly smiled as she sipped her wine glass, turning her head away.

"I am.." I revealed earning squeals of excitement from my aunts. "I'm still ring shopping though." They were quick to offer up their expertise, urging me to look at certain diamond shapes and ring types they believed Mina would adore.

"Oh you must make sure the rock is big. It's what she deserves!" My aunt Una suggested, earning hums in agreement.

"No, no—not too big. Her hands are quite small, make sure the ring compliments her, not overshadows her." My other aunt Juliet chimed in, the two later going back and forth on what type of ring would suit Mina.

My mother shook her head, lifting her gaze to me to lowly utter. "Don't mind them. You know what she'll like best.." she smiled up at me before her gaze averted to Leo who stood by the doorway waiting for me.

Kissing her forehead, I said my goodbyes to her and my aunts before meeting with Leo. "Is everyone here?" I asked. The two of us moved through the manor to go to the second house where our meeting would be held.

"Yes—everyone is here except for Hyeon and his men. They're taking care of the accountant. Everybody else is waiting for us now though." He replied. "Hyeon will join us later." Arriving at the second house moments later, I entered the meeting room to see that everybody was there, including the capos and the Santino's.

Even my nonno was present. He sat adjacent to my father, taking the seat of what should've been Edoardo's as it was the Consigliere's seat. Instead, Edoardo sat down in my designated seat—the sight made my jaw tick.

My father shot me a look that urged me to control myself. This was all being done to make Edoardo and the others comfortable.

"Now that we are all here, let us begin." My father announced after I greeted him and my nonno. "We start off with a round of congratulations to my son, to Ricardo and to Sergio on their release." His words earned whistles and claps of congratulatory praise. The made men surrounded us, delivering pats to each of our shoulders. I took note that Edoardo wasn't too happy but faked a smile anyways.

"Their wrongful arrest put us back a few steps in this war but we have proven to be strong. With their release, things will only get better from here as we prepare to deal with Vincenzo once and for all."