XXXVI

Trigger warning.

M

We stepped out of the court house hand in hand. Both Damien and I were surrounded by his men and followed by his family who were behind us.

He was free.

And I couldn't be any happier.

I had to contain my excitement, knowing that even the slightest bit of emotion broadcasted would have the reporters crazy with assumptions.

I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream and shout, I wanted to do so many things but I held them in. The car was only a distance away and I knew strangely enough that inside that car, I would finally get the chance to let my feelings out.

The bright flashing lights beamed as pictures were snapped relentlessly. The reporters and journalists were going mental with the verdict, not stopping their probing questions despite knowing fully well nobody was going to answer.

"Congratulations Mr.Moretti!!"

"Another criminal scot free-"

"Were you even surprised that you beat this case, Mr Moretti?!"

"Brighten up for the cameras, kiss the lady while you're at it!"

"What's next for the Moretti's?! I hear wedding bells-"

Approaching the blacked out car, Ragi who was in front of us, opened the door of the SUV allowing me to quickly enter. Once the doors closed behind Damien who entered after me, the sounds of the shutters going off as the cameras snapped gradually quietened.

I released the lengthy sigh I had been holding in before removing my dark shades. Folding them and lowering them down to the seat beside me, I turned my attention to Damien.

Eyes closed, head tilted back, he released a sigh of his own before running a hand over his face. Peeling his eyes open, I met his cold stare which softened immediately upon meeting my teary gaze.

He pulled me into his side, coaxing me into his arms where he held me close. I gripped onto him, smiling into his chest as the weight on my shoulders lifted.

Not guilty.

Leaning my head back, I looked up to meet his eyes, smiling happily as tears of joy trickled down my cheeks.

"You did it." I grinned.

His hands lifted to my cheeks, gently wiping away my tears before caressing my skin. "I told you I would-" he rasped, smiling down at me.

I admired his visage for a minute longer, I took in the way the corner of his lips lifted into a smile that reached his dark eyes.

I leaned in first, my eyes fluttering close as Damien mirrored me. Our lips merged and as usual it felt like the first time all over again. I poured every emotion I knew possible into the kiss, the fear I felt during the trial, the anxiety and worry that plagued me during his imprisonment.

I threw everything back, and in return I received something so precious and natural. Love. I knew right then in that moment that the love I had for Damien was raw and true. There was nothing in the world that would ever change that, there was nothing in the world that could ever replace that.

Pulling away after one last passionate kiss and a few chaste pecks. I peered over at him to meet his loving yet lustful stare. He lifted my chin, securing his hand on my jaw as his thumb traced my bottom lip.

"I'll make it up to you, bambina..." he rasped lowly. "For the time lost. You won't have to worry anymore, I'll handle things from now on. You understand?"