8. Confused

He takes a step back, leaving me
Confuse

« I...uh...I'll get my price before anyone steals it haha. » says Shawn, uncomfortable. He pick up his Ipad, leaving me there more confuse than ever. I'm a fool to think that he wanted to kiss me. I'm grateful I didn't break the distance between us. I'm a little hurt but don't show it.

« Here » He says handing me the box. I look at him confuse.

« What? »

« I could play the game if I gave you the gift. So here's your gift. » He answers still holing the box to give it to me. He doesn't seem to be kidding.

« Shawn you don't have to! You won so you deserve it. »

« Nah. It's no big deal. And I already have one. » he says.

I take the box. I feel really bad about it. Like I don't deserve it. He sees my reaction and laugh.

« Chill out. I told you I already have one. »

I was about to say something when I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. I look at the screen

Dad: Where are you?

« shit. I have to get back at home. It's already past ten. »

« Oh yeah sure. » we take our coats and go back to the car. It is kind of uncomfortable. I would like to disappear right now. I'm sure he knew I wanted to kiss him and that's why he looked away. I don't blame him.

I just feel really stupid that this has now been the second time I thought he would kiss me but it didn't happen. I don't know what I did wrong.

The car stops, meaning I'm now at home.

« Thanks for the ride. » I say and give him a small smile. My voice sounds quieter than I would like it too.

« See you at school. » He says smiling back.

I get out of the car and hurry to get inside. I quickly put a fake smile on my face. My dad is in the living room, watching tv.

« Hey dad. Sorry I didn't see what time it was. »

« It's fine. » His eyes goes to the box I have in my hand.

« What is that? » I quickly make up something.

« Oh that? It's the old IPad of Hannah. She gave it to me. The screen is broken but I will get it fix. »

He frowns
« A IPad is expensive, even broken. »

« I know. It's an old generation anyway. »

« Okay then. Goodnight. »

« Goodnight. »

I get in my room. Sometimes I scare myself with how easily I can lie to my parents. I can now think about the events of the night. I really had a great time. I can't remember the last time that I laugh like that. It feels good. I also never went to an arcade on a school night which made it even more exciting. It all was perfect until that last moment. I know I may not be the prettiest girl but it hurts to know that he didn't want to kiss me. The worst thing is that I will have to see him again. At least we don't have science tomorrow. I put my pajamas and try to fall asleep.

***
I'm at school talking with Hannah. I want to tell her about last night.

« My step brother is so annoying! I know I just keep saying this but I just can't anymore. I can't believe that I'm stuck with him till I leave the house. Last night he went to the arcade. When he got back home, he had a weird look on his face. He looked worried and a little bit sad. But I'm pretty sure I didn't see his face clearly because Shawn Mendes having feelings is impossible! » She says rolling her eyes and with her arms crossed.

What she said hit me like a truck. I wanted to tell her about last night but I remember that I can't. She will never forgive me if I tell her that I went out with him. She also said that he looked sad. Why? Was it because we didn't kiss? But he was the one to pull away so it wouldn't make sense. Ugh, that mess that is Shawn Mendes. I wish I could read his mind.

« Oh really?  That's weird. » I say quietly. I hate hearing Hannah talking like that about him. It hurts me a little bit. I know she's not doing it on purpose but still.

« So what did you wanted to tell me? »
She asks, bringing back her attention to me.

« I don't remember. » I lie and laugh a bit.

Hannah was about to say something but she gets interrupted by someone.

« Hey guys! My only friend is sick so he won't be there. Can I come with you for the day? » says Cameron.

« Of course you silly! And I thought I was your friend? »

« That's What I thought but I wasn't sure haha! » I smile at him. We talk while suddenly I make an eye contact with Shawn who is far away from us. He's staring at Cameron, He looks angry and a little bit sad. His face softens when he sees me. He gives me a small smile.

« Maddie?» says Hannah. I look back at my friends and see that they are both looking at me.

« What? »

« I was just saying that we should all do something together outside of school someday. » says Cameron.

« Yeah! That would be great! » I give them a smile and look back to where Shawn was but he disappeared.

They keep talking. I'm physically there but not mentally. All I can think about is Shawn. Why is he always so damn confusing?

« Maddie! » says Hannah once again.

« Oh sorry. What did your say? »

« The bell rang. You're coming? »

« Yeah sorry. » I grab my things and walk with her.

« Where is Cameron? »

« He left for his class. What is up with you? Did you have enough sleep? » She says looking at me like if she was searching for a clue that would tell her why I'm acting like this.

« I'm just a bit tired. It's Friday you know! » I laugh a bit trying to be convincing.

« Okay then. » She stops questioning me and we get to class.