28. Dinner

Tonight was the night. Shawn and I would officially present ourselves as a couple to our parents. I'm getting ready for dinner. I'm wearing a pair of high waist jeans with an orange sweatshirt. I decided to curl my hair and put a little bit of perfume. I even put on mascara which I don't do really often.

I'm getting really nervous as I see that it's the time to leave. I do a quick check-up in the mirror and go join my mom and dad who are in the entrance, ready to leave.

« Oh honey you look beautiful! » says my mom when she sees me. My dad takes a look at me. He looks a little bit emotional but I know he won't say it.

« Shall we go? » says my dad. We all get in the car.

"Please don't do anything embarrassing!" I say.

"We would never do that!" Says my dad and my mom laugh.

"Well, I can say that I'm very excited to meet David's new wife! And she's the mom of your boyfriend. Isn't that crazy when you put it that way?" She says.

"I guess."

We get to their house. We step outside the car and walk to the door. I'm really nervous. It's kinda stupid though because I've already met his parents. The door opens and I see Karen.

"Oh hi everyone! Welcome!" She says with the sweetest smile. We all get inside the house. I smell a delicious aroma of lasagna in the air. It feels warm inside in contrast of the cold weather outside. I see Aaliyah, Shawn, Hannah, and David standing there.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you. I guess you must be Karen?" Says my mom.

"Yes, I am! And these are my children, Aaliyah and Shawn." Shawn and Aaliyah come closer. Shawn shakes my mom and dad's hand. I can see that he's nervous.

« I'm Amy and this is my husband Micheal! » continues my mom.

"So you're the boyfriend?" Says my dad with a serious tone. Shawn gulps.

"Umm...yes That's me."

"Micheal give the kid a break!" Says my mom and rolls her eyes. My father's serious face turn into a smile.

"I'm just messing with you." Says my dad and laugh. Shawn laughs a little bit but I know how he feels inside. He is so nervous. Just like I am.

« Here let me take your coats! » says Karen. We hand her our coats.

« Why don't you all go in the living room while I finish preparing dinner? » says Hannah's Dad. We all agree and go into the living room. I sit on the couch between Hannah and Shawn. My mom and my dad sit on the other couch and Karen sits on the armchair. I'm a little bit nervous. I really want my parents to like Shawn.

« It smells really good! » I say to break the ice.

« Well, David is a real chef! » says Karen with a smile.

« But we're not here to talk about my husband. Let's talk about you guys! Tell me, how did you meet? When I met you at school was it the first time you two talked? »

« No actually... » I say and look at Shawn.

" We met at a hockey game. It was a pure coincidence!" he continues.

"Yes. I didn't know he was Hannah's stepbrother"

"Wow! It must have been fate" says Karen with a huge smile. My mom smiles too. My dad keeps a straight face. Poor Shawn. I wouldn't want to be in this position.

"Shawn, do you play hockey?" asks my mom.

"Yes, I do. I love this sport."

" He is really good at it too!" I say.