Chapter 1

The constant vibration of my phone on my nightstand wakes me

The constant vibration of my phone on my nightstand wakes me. The clock reads two in the morning. Who in their right mind would be calling at this hour? Without looking, I answer.

"All I have to say is, you better be dying."

One thing you don't do is interrupt my sleep. I hear the mischievous laugh of a male through the phone. I'm so glad that waking me from my sleep is fucking hilarious. My annoyance grew quickly.

"Now is that any way to talk to your best friend?" I should have known it was him.

"I don't have a best friend anymore!"

I hang up the phone, turn it off, and place it back on the nightstand. He knows better than to fuck with my sleep. What the hell is wrong with him?

After about five minutes of tossing and turning, I'm finally comfortable. I snuggle into my soft, fluffy pillow, waiting for sleep to consume me. Just as I'm about to drift off, my front door slams shut. I snap my eyes open and listen closely. A loud 'thud' was heard, followed by a slew of curse words. I can't help but let out a laugh.

"Bitch, I hear you in there laughing!"

He turns on the hallway light and makes his way loudly down the hall towards my room.

My bedroom door bursts open and slams off the wall. The light from the hall blinds me, and a large, black silhouette of a man stands in the doorway. I let out a squeal, pulling the covers over my head.

He laughs wickedly. "Oh, no, you don't," is all I hear before he grabs me by the ankles and yanks me out of bed. I land hard on the floor.

"Ouch, you asshole, what the hell was that for?" That shit really hurt.

He crosses his arms and stares down at me. "That's what you get for hanging up on me!"

I growl as I push myself up from the floor. "There are better ways to get someone out of bed." I grit.

"Well, I called you, and hung up on me, so I went with option two!" He tells me, holding back a grin.

I roll my eyes. He's always doing shit like this to me. I push past him and make my way down the stairs and towards the living room.

"What do you want, Reese?"

Reese is my best friend and boss. He has helped me in more ways than I could ever repay him. I am forever in his debt. If it wasn't for him, I would probably be dead by now.

"Can't a guy come visit his best friend?" He jokes.

Is he serious? I stop and face him. "Not at two in the morning!" I shout, throwing my arms in the air.

"Well in this relationship," he points between us, "any time is a good time." I want nothing more than to strangle the life out of him right now. If he says one more stupid word, I just might. I plop down in the recliner as Reese sits comfortably on the couch. I stare at him, waiting for him to talk but, he doesn't.