Chapter 33

As a boy, my father used to tell us that there will come a time in our lives where we would have to man up and take care of our responsibilities

As a boy, my father used to tell us that there will come a time in our lives where we would have to man up and take care of our responsibilities. It never dawned on me what he actually meant by it, until now. Wren's test came back positive. In all my life, I never thought that I would be a father, yet here I am about to become one.

The thought of becoming a father is actually terrifying. I have no clue how to be a parent. Sometimes I don't even consider myself to be an adult. One of many negative thoughts enters my mind. What if I'm not good enough and fail as a father? I quickly shake the thought away. Regardless of my insecurities, I will protect her, her kids and...my baby.

My baby! It still doesn't seem real. I play around with the thought of a little boy, who looks just like me, running around the house enter my mind. His laughter filling the living room as Wren, chases him around. I smile at the thought and let my imagination run wild for a minute.

The sound of a door slamming shut brings me back to reality. I glance around the waiting room of the doctors office, woman of all stages of their pregnancy sit patiently, waiting to see their doctor. A woman with a newborn baby takes a seat next to me and begins to fill out paperwork. Just like Wren had to do.

Wren had called the doctor, right after, Reese had told us what the test said and was able to get squeezed onto the nurses schedule for today. I've been sitting here for almost an hour now, waiting for her to come back out. Hopefully they can give her something to help with her morning sickness. Why they call it that is beyond me. Wren has been throwing up for a few days now and not just in the morning.

The woman sitting next to me, grabs her newborn baby girl from the car seat and begins to breastfeed. I shift my attention to my lap and begin to fiddle with my fingers. Where on earth has Wren brought me? I've heard about breastfeeding before, but never had the opportunity to witness it.

The woman next to me chuckles, "Whats the matter? Never seen someone breastfeed before?

"Umm...no. No, I haven't."

The woman nods her head, "You aren't bothered by it are you?"

I scan the room and notice two woman sitting across from us staring at me, waiting for my answer. I feel like this is a do or die question. I swallow hard and shake my head. The women  across from me smirk and begin talking amongst themselves.

"Are you a first time parent?"

I shift my attention to the woman. It looks like she just crawled out of bed. She stares back at me tiredly. Her eyes are a light blue with dark bags under them. You can tell she is definitely lacking sleep. She has her dark red hair pulled up in a messy bun and her skin is so white, causing the freckles on her face and shoulders pop.

"I guess you could say that. We just found out she was pregnant."

She smiles, "I can tell. You're acting the same way my husband did when we first found out we were pregnant. He was so nervous," she chuckles as she relives the memory. She doesn't know how relieved I am to hear of another man who has felt the same way I do.