Chapter 46

As soon as the nurses informed us that she was now in her own room and was allowed to have visitors, my heart sputtered with excitement

As soon as the nurses informed us that she was now in her own room and was allowed to have visitors, my heart sputtered with excitement. I can't wait to see her, talk to her, feel her, kiss her. That's all I have been wanting to do.

God, it feels like I haven't seen her in weeks.

All three of us step into the elevator, and I quickly press the button to the floor she is on. I glance over at Reese and Maxen, who are leaning quietly against the elevator wall. Even though Maxen put Wren through hell in the past, I really am glad he is here. I don't know how many times I have thanked him—but I know it was a lot. He has definitely proven to me that he has changed.

Just as the doors were about to close, we hear someone yell for us to hold the doors. Reese reaches his hand out, keeping the doors from closing, and I groan internally. Why would he do that? All I want to do is get to Wren.

A woman with two young kids enters the elevator. "Thank you so much. I really didn't want to wait for the next one," she says, adjusting the small girl on her hip before pressing the floor she wanted.

"No problem," Reese replies tiredly, letting a yawn escape his lips. I know exactly how he feels.

The elevator doors open and the woman and her two kids step out. "Once again thank you," she tells Reese before the doors close again. Two more floors to go.

My eyes land on my reflection in the elevator doors. If the dark circles under my eyes isn't an indication of how tired I am, then I don't know what is. I run my hand through my already disheveled hair and sigh.

The elevator doors open and we all step out. I hurry to the nurses station and ask for Wren's room number.

The older nurse types in Wren's name. "She's in 204," She says pointing me in the right direction. I mutter a thank you and head down the hall.

It doesn't take us long to find her room. When we enter, a nurse was just throwing away some bloody bandages. She looks up and places her finger on her lips. "She just fell asleep," she whispers. "Poor thing is exhausted."

I bet she is. She has been through a lot.

"Can we see her?" Reese's hopeful voice sounds from behind me.

She glances over her shoulder and nods. "If she needs anything, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll just be down the hall."

"Thank you," Maxen adds as the nurse walks out the door.

When my eyes land on Wren, my heart breaks at the sight. Her face is so swollen and bruised, yet she was recognizable.

"Jesus," I hear someone say from behind me, but am too shocked to decipher who it was.

I walk over to the side of the bed, careful not to bump into any of the equipment attached to her, and pull the chair closer to the bed and take a seat.