Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

I move to take a deep breath and am paralysed by the pain that lances through my chest. I can't breathe, the air I'm attempting to take in getting stuck in the worst way. I'm sure that colour is draining from my face.

Jennie is moving away from her chair and I don't know how, but I manage to croak some words out. Despite my lack of inhaling ability, I speak.

"Wait."

Stunned, she turns. Krystal mumbles something unhelpful as she pushes past me. It was also probably cursing but my Spanish isn't fantastic.

"I have to do it this afternoon. I can't do it next week," I add frantically.

Jennie raises an eyebrow and hoists her satchel higher on her shoulder. Holding the strap there with her hand raises her shirt over her low slung jeans and hip and a sliver of skin, amazingly tanned and sexy skin, is revealed. I refuse to let my eyes slip down for more than a millisecond.

"I'm busy this afternoon," she states.

"Yesterday -" I begin.

"Oh fine!" Her exclamation is clearly exasperated and she turns to Jongin in a huff. "I can't help you set up for the party, gotta meet with my study partner." The last two words are said in the most sarcastic voice possible and aimed directly at me.

"That's fine." He shrugs in response. "Party don't start till eight anyway. Hey, Ji-"

His words are cut off as Jennie elbows him sharply in the stomach. Looking winded and confused, he can't help but follow as the brunette of my dreams leads him determinedly from the classroom.

It's a good thing that I technically have break now because I can barely move when they're gone and I'm late for the next 'class'. For me this is study hall, and Latin, but they don't care if I'm late for study hall. After all, the fact I'm there at all is supposed to be amazing in itself.

My history classroom is empty except for my history teacher packing her stuff up and, despite myself, I slump into a seat.

Never before have I managed to fight the pain long enough to speak. The fact that I won, that I'm still seeing Jennie after school, is irrelevant. The sharp knife to my chest is practically unbearable and I really can't breathe. I desperately try to move some air in and out, enough to prevent a collapse, while I hold my ribs.

"Jisoo?" I can hear my Miss Charles' voice hovering on the edge of my consciousness. "Are you all right?"

Suddenly she's on her knees next to me, a concerned look on her face and a hand on my shoulder.

"Come on, I'll take you to the nurse."

I shake my head and get enough breath in to speak to her. "It's okay. It'll pass."

"What's going on?"

"Just... muscle ache," I lie through gritted teeth. "Happens sometimes."

"Hmm, maybe you shouldn't work your heart muscles so hard," I hear Miss Charles' teasing tint every word. I look up into her light brown eyes and wonder very, very hard if she knows that she hit the truth on the head.

I can't tell.

God, she has nice eyes. Not as nice as Jennie, but nice.

The pain is receding and I can breathe now.

"I still think you should go to the nurse. Pain like that can't be healthy." Miss Charles stands up as I release my hold on my ribs and pick up my satchel.

Shaking my head, I form a reply. "No, it's been checked out by the doctor, I'm fine."

It's pure white lie. My grandfather would be appalled. I never go to the doctor because I'm not really permitted to get sick. Colds are trifling things that are to be fought through and I have a cast iron constitution so I never get anything worse. The last time I saw a doctor was for my final set of vaccinations.