Chapter 26

Chapter Twenty-Six

Breakfast is predictably delicious. After just three meals at Jennie's house, I have come to the conclusion that my grandfather cannot cook. His food is bland and plain, and, although I eat it, I never really enjoy it.

This, I enjoy.

Okay, so, apart from the spaghetti, none of the food Jennie has fed me has been technically good for me. Pizza isn't exactly healthy, and neither are nachos or pancakes. But I do eat one pancake, one waffle and a lot of fruit.

Jennie and Kyla both look at me funny when I do that, but I'm holding back. I don't want to overload on pleasure here. Plus, I feel weird if I don't eat fruit in the morning.

Hyorin is just lovely. I wish – how I wish! – I had someone like her in my life. Despite Jennie's protests to the contrary, I help her clear the table after breakfast. Jennie is upstairs getting ready, whereas I'm already showered and dressed.

I do wish that I had something a little less starchy to wear. I've always felt ridiculously dressed at school, but here my clothes just make me feel plain uncomfortable. These people are very casual, and so very nice. I just feel like an intrusion dressed like this.

Once the kitchen is cleaned and Jennie is back downstairs, Taeyang appears from a door from the outside. He did pop in to steal some pancakes earlier, but left again, and this is the first I've really seen of him all morning.

"Hey, girls!" He sounds cheerful. He kisses his wife on the cheek and smiles.

"You're in a good mood."

"I got a lot done this morning."

"Hey, Dad, will you show Jisoo your studio?" Jennie pipes up from the bench she's sitting on.

I blush. I don't like a lot of attention focused on me.

"Sure, of course!" He heads back over and opens the door to the outside. "Come on, Jisoo, let me show you around."

I walk over to the door and look back at Jennie, cocking my head sideways in an unspoken question.

"You go on with him. It won't take long. I'm just gonna do something."

I could kill her. She's left me alone with her father, goddammit. Could that get any scarier? He seems like a lovely guy, though, and he shows me his studio which is awe-inspiring. It's in a separate building joined to the main house by a covered walkway. It's a nice building with lots of light and glass around it. I don't really understand the inside of the studio but Taeyang explains everything and I follow most of what he says.

When he picks up an electric guitar and plays a tune, I must look amazed because he chuckles.

"Don't listen to much rock?"

I shake my head. "I listen to a lot of classical."

He laughs heartily. "Chalk and cheese, Jisoo. How the hell did you end up friends with my daughter?"

"I have no idea, sir," I reply truthfully.

"You play anything?"

"Yes, sir, I play the violin."

"Geez, that'd take some skill! You any good? And it's Taeyang, not 'sir'. I ain't never been a sir."

I laugh in a friendly way. "I've been playing since I was five, so I'm all right."

I don't tell him that I'm pretty damn proficient.

"You should bring it over, jam with us sometime."