Chapter 52

Chapter Fifty-Two

I awaken slowly to the realization that I'm alone. It's not a feeling I enjoy, missing Jennie immediately.

The door is ajar though and, as I slowly blink into consciousness, I see that Jennie is standing just outside with her step-mother. I can't help but eavesdrop.

"I know, honey, but we're going to have to talk about this," Hyorin is saying.

"Can't... can't it just wait till tomorrow? She's so upset." Jennie's voice is full of emotion.

"I wish it could, I really do."

"She's not going back there."

There's a moment of silence.

"Jennie Kim, don't you dare suggest that I would ever do that." Despite the use of her full name, Hyorin's voice has no malice or anger in it. "She will absolutely be staying here, for the foreseeable future and beyond."

There is silence and then Jennie's quiet voice: "Thank you."

"But, honey, we really do have to talk about this."

"She's still asleep," Jennie says so quietly I almost miss it. "I don't want to wake her. I don't think she's had much."

"Of course. Don't worry. When she wakes up, we'll take it from there." I see Hyorin's arm come up to touch Jennie's face. My view is obscured by the partially-closed door, but I can still hear her next words. "How are you holding up?"

"Wasn't me that got beat down," Jennie replies bitterly.

"No, just the girl you love."

Jennie sighs. "I'm okay. Honestly. So long as Jisoo is okay. I won't let her go back there, I won't. I won't let him hurt her again." Obstinate Jennie is very cute.

Sleepily I yawn, silently, and try to accept the fact that I'm in a safe place, that I'm with people who care.

"We'll sort out food when Jisoo wakes up. Meanwhile, why don't you go back in? I suspect she won't want to be alone."

I don't see Jennie's response, but I assume she makes some gesture. Just before Hyorin leaves though, I do catch one last exchange.

Jennie's body moves forward, I see through the gap, and she hugs her step-mother.

"Thank you... mom."

I smile into my pillow.

I close my eyes before Jennie comes back inside the room. I don't really want her to know that I heard all of that. I think she'd be a little put-out that I was eavesdropping.

The bed dips down as she slides in next to me, and I feel fingers trace across my hair again.

I let my eyelids flutter open.

"Hey there," she says lightly, with a smile.

"Hi," I reply shyly.

"How you doin'?"

"Okay." It's mostly truth. The pain isn't as bad, I suspect because of the pain killers I've been given. Because I've never taken them before, they work like a charm. On the other hand, they can't kill the pain completely, and it hurts just to lie here.

"You hungry?"

I shake my head. I don't think I could eat.

"Thirsty?"

Hmm. I nod. I am a bit.

A glass of Coke appears from down the side of her bed, with a grin. She knows how much I like it.