Chapter 33

Chapter Thirty-Three

The only thing I can think to do is to put my arm around her and pull her in to a half-hug. She leans her head on my shoulder and a few silent tears roll down her face.

I can only surmise that she wasn't the one to end it.

I shouldn't, I really shouldn't, hurt from just that. I mean, this should be about her, and at least I have the sense not to say anything. But deep inside, I wish she'd been the one to end it.

After awhile she puts her head up and sniffles, wiping her nose on her sleeve.

I roll my eyes and pull out my handkerchief, which she accepts gratefully.

"I shouldn't be so upset," she says, wiping away her tears. "It was so long coming, and it was my move in the end."

That surprises me. It was her. And I'm also surprised to find that it doesn't cause joy in me, just tenderness towards her.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I know you care about him."

"I do," she says brokenly. "I really care about him."

My chest hurts.

"But not the right way," she continues, sniffling.

My chest hurts slightly less.

"Are you okay?" I ask, my arm still around her shoulders, stroking gently.

"Yeah," she laughs without humour. "I just... It was sort of a mutual agreement but I know I hurt him, and I still really care about him as a friend. And we've been together for so long it's... it's just a big deal, you know."

"I get it," I reach my hand up and stroke her hair lightly. She leans her head on my shoulder and we sit there for awhile.

"I... I don't really know anything about this stuff because it's not like I've ever broken up with someone," I say lightly, "but I get the impression it gets better in time. And he loves you, Jen. He'll always be your friend."

"I know," she sniffles again, still leaning on my shoulder. "I don't know if I'm upset that he took it so well or just glad."

I chuckle. "Take what you can get."

"I'm sorry I was mean to you."

"I'm sorry I jumped to stupid conclusions."

"I just... I'm so used to friends like Krystal and Paul I guess I just forgot I had someone I could depend on," she whispers. "Someone who isn't Jongin."

I stroke her head. "I'm always here."

"I know."

And I am. No matter what happens I'm always going to be here for her. Something about this has just given me a break. It's strange, but just feeling the strength of emotion running through her, and the fact she's willing to lean on me, makes me feel better about our friendship.

Makes me feel better that it's just a friendship.

I can't blame her, or Jongin. They've been together for over three years. It must hurt like hell to end that, even if you know that it has to end.

Poor Jennie.

We chat for a little while longer, sitting there with my arm around her, until the bell that signifies that the bell to end lunch is coming rings. Our school is weird like that. Why don't they just have a bell to tell you that the bell to tell you that the bell to end lunch is coming? Why don't they just have bells non-stop?

She leans up, and I miss the warmth of her head on my shoulder.

"I should go clean up," she sniffs again. "And you don't wanna be late to class."