Chapter 41

Chapter Forty-One

When I feel well enough, I get up and shower – alone – and get changed. Upon my return, I note that Jennie has changed the sheets. I blush, feeling bad about that.

I really didn't mean to faint.

She's lying spread-eagled on the bed, her arms outstretched, sighing happily.

I laugh. "What are you doing?"

"Clean sheets! I love clean sheets!"

"You're on top of the comforter," I point out.

"Doesn't matter. I know they're there!"

I get to the end of the bed, climb up on my knees and slowly crawl my way over her. By the time I get to the point where I'm suspended on outstretched arms over her head, her eyes are wide and her breathing pattern has changed.

Slowly, almost excruciatingly so, I lower myself down to her and kiss her.

I keep the kiss light, brushing across her lips with my own. When she moves to deepen it, I pull back a little and brush the corners of her mouth. I keep doing this until she finally whispers, "Kiss me."

And I whisper back, "I am."

So she whispers, "Kiss me properly."

And I laugh.

I can't help but give in to that.

We do make it downstairs for the barbeque. I feel awkward, because Taeyang and Hyorin are fussing over me and won't let me help. Hyorin eventually notices how uncomfortable I look and has a word with Taeyang. They both back off, but I can see them giving me worried glances.

I'm okay. Seriously.

Jennie and I sit on a pair of banana chairs that she dragged over to the patio. We're far enough away from her parents that if we talk quietly they're not going to hear us.

We're chatting away when I come up with a question I've been dying to ask for a long time.

"How long have you liked me?" I ask shyly.

She looks at me. "Hmm, since the project."

"That's..." I do a quick calculation, "Jennie, that's nearly a year!" Okay, so my calculations were rather general, but still.

"Yeah."

I goggle at her. "What the hell took you so long?"

"Uh. Things."

"You liked me back then? Why?" I probably shouldn't ask that question, but I really want to know. I thought I barely registered in her universe.

"I don't know." She realizes this is probably not a friendly answer. "You were nice, and despite your grandfather's best efforts, you're damn cute. And I just kept thinking about you when I wasn't around you. And then I'd wonder what it would be like to kiss you. And then it wouldn't go away."

"Oh. Wow." I'm a little stunned. "What changed?"

"That kiss," she admits. "I knew I shouldn't. I knew it was wrong. But I couldn't help myself and..."

"And then it took you a year to remember it?" I tease

"No," she protests. "I was still with Jongin."

"Jongin," I say with some bitterness.

She puts her hand on mine. "I felt guilty. I cheated and... well, all I could think about was wanting to do it again."

After a few moments of silence I decide that since I've been brave enough thus far, I should just ask what I want to know. "Why did it take you so long to break up with him?"

"Er... I'm a coward?" She looks sheepish and I can't help but laugh. She's so cute.

"Idiot."

"Yeah... but... I really liked you."

"Which is why you waited six months to kiss me again?" Now I really am teasing.

"Okay, okay, I'm a loser, agreed." She squeezes my hand. "But at least I did."

"Yeah."

We're interrupted by her parents having what looks like an argument about the barbeque. I look at Jennie and she grins.

"Dad insists on cooking. Hyorin stays there to make sure it's edible. I'd hate to think what we'd be eating if he was left on his own."

I giggle. "Not a good cook?"

"Depends. Do you like the taste of charcoal?"

"Not really."

"Do you like the taste of charcoal covered in charcoal-y barbeque sauce?"

"Once again, not really..."

"Then, be happy Hyorin is supervising."

"Oh."

Dinner is actually quite edible. I suppose Hyorin did a decent job of supervising. When Jennie suggests that we go out after dinner, I discover that her step-mother is not the walk-over that might be indicated by some of her behaviour.

I'm not well enough and that's that.

I keep quiet and watch Jennie argue passionately, and lose.

We're staying in.

So Jennie decides we'll watch movies instead. She takes me to the den instead of her room, because the television there is apparently 'better'.

Actually, it's more like a wall. They have a wall-sized projector. And a huge leather couch to watch from.

The air-conditioning is going, and I'm not used to it. We don't have it at home and I shiver a little. Instead of turning it down, she grabs a light blanket and curls up on the couch, pulling me into her side and covering us both.

I'd love to cuddle into her, but I'm not sure about doing so in front of her family.

"It's cool, my parents are doing something upstairs together and if Kyla comes in here I'll kill her," Jennie says to me, seeing my reluctance.

I glare at her, but cuddle in. "Tomorrow, you make peace," I say, "or else."

"Yes, baby," she whispers. "Whatever you say." She places a gentle kiss on my temple as I cuddle in.

I love it when she calls me baby.

* *©clomle44* *