Story two: Side effects of too much

Adi sat on the edge of the flyover looking at the road below. He had a can of whiskey in his hand and kept on drinking it. The stamp that he had used a few hours ago made him see rainbows in darkness and ghosts in streetlights. His mind kept on telling him to jump of the flyover and float in the air but Adi didn’t find it amusing so he didn’t jump.

Adi thought about Pooja, then he thought about his father. Then he wondered how strange it was to hate people and still call them family. Adi got up and stood on the narrow wall of the flyover and walked on it balancing to both sides and almost fell. Then he got down and walked towards his car. The car seemed to be in the air and fire was emitting from its back. Adi rubbed his eyes and walked towards the door and with several attempts he opened it and got inside. He tried for a few minutes to start the car. No matter how hard he tried, he was not able to put the key to the socket. After about five to ten minutes Adi was finally able to drive.

The road seemed never-ending. The more he drove the longer the distance to his house become. He found the road twisting and turning and going upside down like a rollercoaster. Adi couldn’t figure out if he should cry or laugh. His head was twirling and the streetlights were dancing as in a Broadway musical. Aditya wanted to scream but his voice won’t come out. Then before he knew it, his car had hit something.

***********

Maya pulled the chains harder. She knew that she can’t break them but there was nothing else she could do either. The room was dark and small. It was cold inside and air was damp. It felt as though it was decaying from the inside. The rotten smell was nauseating and sometimes she felt like she would become unconscious due to the fetid smell. For the first few days Maya screamed loud, hit on the walls and tried to attack the guards. The room was sound proof and the walls were layered with sponge beds and guards had heavy sticks with which they hit her elbows and knees hard. It hurt a lot but what hurt her more was how one of the guards misbehaved with her and she couldn’t do anything about it. Maya couldn’t believe that her Arjun had sent her to a place where she would be subjected to molestation. She couldn’t accept that Arjun would do it to her. She was his wife, his child’s mother and now she is locked up in a place from where she had no escape and a place where anyone could touch her without her permission.

Maya pulled the chains harder and tears fell from eyes. She closed her mouth with her hands to make sure that her sound won’t go out. If anyone hears her screaming they would come and hurt her.

It had been days since Maya had seen sunlight and she feared she might never see it again. Her breasts hurt really bad. Milk came out of them at times and her shirt was drenched in it. Pain was not new to Maya. It was her constant companion but every time her breasts hurt because of excess breast milk, it reminded her of her child. Her child is somewhere far from her, crying for her, hungry and scared and she was helpless and unable to hold her one more time. Maya cried harder. We can’t expect life to be fair all the time, but everyone deserves fairness at least once in their lives.

**********

Anjana was scared and trembling. Arjun Hooda held her tight while Harshvardhan was talking to the police inspector.

S.I: A case has been registered. He was on alcohol and drugs while driving and hit a car which had four members of a family. They are all admitted in the hospital and Thank God, none of their conditions are serious. This is the second time that Aditya Hooda is arrested for rash driving, I don’t think I will be able to save him the next time.

Harshvardhan: I understand that Sir. I am very ashamed of his behavior and it is causing me head ache all the time. I will do something about it for sure.

Harshvardhan applied for bail and got Adi out of the police station. Anjana ran to Adi and hugged him tight. Adi was half conscious and didn’t know what to do but all he knew was that he didn’t want to go to the Hooda house. The place haunted him. Pooja’s memories haunted him. Adi had no idea how to make the visions stop. They appeared out of nowhere and destroyed his sleep and his peace. At nights he would try to close his eyes but Pooja comes and stands next to him and sometimes caresses his hair and softly speaks his name. It disturbed him so much that he threw up a few times. His house made him go mad and he wandered the streets. Now he can’t be there was well. Aditya wished if he could disappear in to thin air like the smoke from a burning candle.