Story Six: Past, Present, Future and Other things

Arjun: I am so sorry Daisy. I know it has been two days since you have come here and I haven't visited the place at all. I was in real trouble. Dad almost disowned me.

Arjun spoke after washing his hands.

Maya: Disowned you?

Arjun: Long story short, I was supposed to appear for a very important case the next day of coming to Nainital. I mean, I literally spent days researching about it and then Prithvi called me to come there and I did and one of my juniors appeared for the hearing and thank the Gods, the hearing was moved to another day or else we would have definitely lost the case for sure and dad would have sued me.

Maya: I am so sorry Arjun, it's all because me.

Arjun: It's okay Daisy. I did it because my brother asked to. I will do anything for him.

Maya: That is so nice Arjun. It's really good to have a brother like you.

Adi: I am standing right here Arjun and I don't own a Lamborghini that I am going to gift to you, so no need to butter me.

Arjun: I was just stating facts.

Maya: You both are so adorable.

Saying this Maya softly laughed and picked up the plates and walked towards the kitchen and both Adi and Arjun were stunned and looked at each other with opened mouths.

********

Adi walked around in the apartment and thought about the time he had spent there with Pooja. The day he had bought the flat as a surprise gift for her and how they came for the first visit. The time they spent on the balcony watching the night sky. Adi remembered everything and his eyes became watery. Maya noticed it.

Maya: Aditya, why don't you guys help me arrange everything properly. Everything is dusty here and I don't feel like working alone. Please.

Arjun: Yeah sure, come on brother. Let's do it.

Adi Suddenly woke from the trance and spoke.

Adi: Yes, Arjun play FM, it will be fun.

Arjun started the FM and some old Hindi songs started to play. After a couple of songs there was an ad and then this song played.

'Churaliya hai tum ne jo dil ko'

And Maya suddenly stopped what she was doing and stood silently and listened to it. Adi noticed that and then when the song ended the happiness on her face faded and she went back to doing her work.

Adi: Do you like this song, Daisy?

Maya: Yes, I used to. But I haven't heard this song in years. This was my grandparents' favorite song. Whenever my granddad came back from his business trips, me, grandma and granddad used to have party nights. We would eat a lot and dance and this used to be our favorite song. It was so much fun.

Maya was smiling the entire time she was talking about her grandparents. Adi remembered her happy and smiling when she spoke about her grandmother in Nainital as well. It felt good seeing her smile.

Adi: Arjun, let's have Yadoon Ki Baaraat tonight. Download the song from YouTube and play it on repeat.

Arjun: Give me two minutes.

Maya smiled widely and they worked and danced the whole night with the single song on repeat for too many times.

*******

Maya was getting bored in the apartment. She didn't know how long she would stay in this place. She was fine now and it was only right to move out. Maya thought it was better to go back to her own house. If the house was still, there. Maybe her mom sold it out. Who cared about the house anyway, only Maya did. It was a place which saw all her pain, love, loneliness and sorrow, her madness and the edge of her anger. It was hers. The only place she used to belong to. Maya suddenly remembered her Gannu Bhaiyya and tears fell from her eyes. She should never have let the idol go, with it her soul also sank.