Story 11: Fly Me to the Moon

Adi looked in to Maya’s eyes. They were wet. A tear drop twinkled at the edge of her left eye.

Adi: Maya, why are you crying? Did I do anything wrong?

Maya: No, Aditya. You didn’t. It’s just that, everything is so perfect, so beautiful and I can’t believe it as real.

Adi softly bit Maya’s lower lip. Maya let out a small cry.

Adi: It hurts right? So it’s true. This is not a dream Maya. This moment is real, we are real. And I love you.

Maya kissed Adi’s lips raising her head towards him. Then she looked at the stars above them. It was so beautiful. Like the night sky she saw in Nainital. Adi had found a place near Mumbai where there were mountains and forest and stars, a billion stars. They were above a hilly area, away from people and noises. There was a tent built and a fire near it. Maya was surprised when Adi had brought her there. she couldn’t believe that he did and in fact she still couldn’t believe it as real. Maya touched Adi’s face and cupped it in her hands and wondered ‘How can he be real? How can she be happy? Finally, away from the world, away from all her fears, there was peace, there was Aditya Hooda.

*******

Vikraam: I am taking her. That’s it.

ACP: It’s not that easy, Sir. You have to understand that she is legally no longer under imprisonment and has cleared her medical test and can no longer be called a mentally ill person. She is the owner of a fashion magazine and is dating a Hooda. You should have eliminated her on day one.

Vikraam: That is why I need your help.

ACP: What should I do?

Vikraam: What should you do? Nothing. I am going to do what I am going to do and I want you to let me do it. I will let you know about it soon enough.

ACP: So what is the plan?

Vikraam: It’s in the making. I am studying her for now.

ACP: You are obsessed with Maya Mehrotra. I can tell that by the way you are so restless as well as calm at the same time. Why? It’s not the first time that a captive has escaped you. Maybe not from the asylum but people did Sir and you have killed them the same day. Then why not her?

Vikraam: Them and her, there is a lot of difference Iqbal. When she escaped the asylum, I was shocked. Then, when I heard about how she escaped, I was fascinated. She literally manipulated people to escape the place and now see how she is using the Hoodas to get what she wants. Her brain, I am in love with every single curve of it. I just don’t want her body on my experimental table, I want her mind as well. I want to learn her. I want to own her. I want to own her every thought. I want her.

ACP: And you will get her.

Vikraam only smiled to that.

*******

Adi: I am going to propose her Arjun.

Arjun: Are you sure brother? It’s been only a few months. Not a few, just close to three months.

Adi: We are not getting married now, Arjun. I just want to tell her about what I feel.

Arjun: I know brother, but make sure that you do it today itself.

Adi: But why?

Adi: Nothing, just nothing. I can’t wait to see your ring on Maya’s hands. I am so happy for both of you. So happy.

Arjun turned around from Adi and wiped the tears in his eyes. His brother won’t be able to propose Maya today or any day. He is never going to see Maya again. Arjun knew it but he had to try to save her. Arjun knew that everything was out of his hands and the sane way was to keep his brother away from Maya and to let them take her but he couldn’t. Somehow he has come to care for Maya. He didn’t know if she was a friend or a sister or just his brother’s lover but he cared and that’s all that mattered and he was going to try. Sometimes the best we can do is to try.