Story five: To Wait or Not to Wait

Adi stayed awake. It was over midnight. He tried to close his eyes many times but whenever he did, he was reminded of the dark corridors of the mental asylum and images of the guard sneaking in to Maya's cell. He immediately opened his eyes and sat up. It had been many times that the same images were haunting his sleep. Adi got up from his bed and moved around in his room. He covered his face with his hands and then walked to the door and then retraced his path. He felt as though he was in a metal cell in the burning sun and Adi started sweating even in the cold. He opened his room door and walked towards Maya's room in silent steps. The room was locked but he had the key and he softly opened it. He turned the torch of his phone on and looked at the sleeping Maya. She was fine. She was there and he breathed peacefully. Adi locked the door and walked towards Arjun's room. He got inside and sat on his bed and called Arjun softly. Arjun was in deep sleep and Adi got irritated. He went near Arjun's ears and screamed.

Adi: Arjun get up.

Arjun jumped out of his bed and started screaming and Adi immediately got up and closed Arjun's mouth.

Adi: Don't make noise and wake her.

Arjun: What the hell Brother? I got scared. Why can't you sleep at night? Please go on and sleep.

Adi: We need to leave this place, Arjun. Nainital. I don't want to be here.

Arjun: You want to leave now? In the middle of the night?

Adi: No Arjun, tomorrow.

Arjun: I will check for flights.

Adi: Flights won't work. She doesn't have any identification card with her and I can't risk it taking her to a public place. Rent a car to Mumbai or till outside Himachal. We will get a train or bus from there.

Arjun: Adi brother, are you sure you want to take her with us. We don't know anything about her. Not even her real name.

Adi: I am sure Arjun. She is coming with us.

*********

Maya woke up early that day and looked at the rising sun. It was red and beautiful. The last three days were something she couldn't believe to be true. Maya stayed in a house with two strangers who were helping her for reasons still unknown. Maya washed her face, put on some new clothes and walked downstairs. Her wounds were healing and she was able to move her fingers better. Maya reached the main hall and found Adi and Arjun arranging their bags.

Maya cleared her throat and asked.

Maya: Are you guys going somewhere?

Arjun: We are going Daisy, we are going back to Mumbai.

Maya: No, I am not coming anywhere with you. Just drop me at some place where I can get a vehicle. I will go on my own. Thank you for your help. I don't want to trouble you anymore.

Adi thought for some time and spoke.

Adi: Daisy, listen. I didn't risk my life to save you from that hell house to leave you in the middle of nowhere. You are coming with us. I don't know this place and even though we are safe in here, I am not sure how long we can escape the eyes of the asylum authorities. They won't file a formal complaint as you were illegally confined there but they will definitely search for you everywhere in Nainital. Mumbai is my city and I can get you to a safe place and then you can be on your own. It's not that I care about what happens to you, it's just that I gave a lot of effort to save you and I don't want it to go to waste.

Maya didn't say anything. She could feel the fear in Aditya's voice and his mannerisms even though he tried his best to hide it and she had no idea why he cared about her, she kind of felt that even he was not sure about it and also that Arjun was only following Aditya's orders. Maya walked upstairs to get whatever things she had.