Ch. 18 - Keep running!

'I have to keep running! I have to make sure Luffy is safe!'

*BOOM*

Ace heard the explosion from behind him it was so loud. He was already so close to the edge of the forest he had to make it there before the fire spread. Ace turn his head to the right because he heard footsteps. He got himself ready to protect himself and Luffy.

"Ace! Wait it's us!"

"You guys!" He was confused. "Wait why are you guys here?" It was the bandits that were order to fight in the south side of Grey Terminal.

"Boss told everyone that was fighting from the south to retreat because she didn't want us to get caught in the fire."

'Dadan she still in there fighting!'

Ace then saw the some of the citizen from the south side of Grey Terminal running with the bandits.

"We also had orders to save the citizens. Come on we have to run while we still can!"

Ace nods his head and run with them to the forest. They make it at the top of a hill that over looks Grey Terminal. There they could see the spread of disasters littering the Terminal. The smell that was coming from there was terrible.

The smell of burnt flesh and trash was so horrible that it made some of the citizens and bandits so sick it made them throw up.

'But it doesn't matter anymore because it's not like anyone was going to help each other anymore than this. The fact that the bandits even came to the citizens aid in need is a shock. He wouldn't even blame them if they left them behind. Nothing good comes out of Grey Terminal anyways.'

He looks back and see how uncomfortable the Grey Terminal citizens were. No of them liked the bandits because of their past with them. To be honest some of the bandits used to pillage Grey Terminal. They would steal, rape and kill many of them.

The citizens also weren't any better as well. Some would go out of their way to kill the bandits. They would keep a head count to how many they killed. Even some of the bandits had a bounty on them in Grey Terminal. It was like a sport for them.

All of them were so ruffed up and injured. Hell he wasn't looking that good either, the smell too wasn't making it any better. It was then that one bandit got up and began to help a citizen with his injury. The man looked confused and surprised that a bandit could put aside their differences and come to his aid. Then some more of the bandits began to help the injured citizens and their fellow comrades. The same with the citizens they were passing out some food and water to those who needed it, that goes for the bandits.

It was an incredible sight because many of the citizens in Grey Terminal hated the bandits but here they were helping each other and making sure they were well. It was then that Ace had an Epiphany.

That all it takes is one person to make change happen.

He could see it right before his eyes. The change of something amazing about to happen. He couldn't believe it that these people that would've been at each other's throats any other day are now willing to put their life's on the line for each other.

'If...if they can.....change, then can I?'

Ever since Ace was young he's had a problem with his own existence. He could never understand why he was born or why he was still alive to this day. He knows what the citizens would say about him even though they don't know that their talking about him.

"If Gol Roger had a kid then it would be a demon!" "Monster!" "It should be hunted down and killed!" "A bastard!"

There hurtful words would make him believe them. So ever since then he could never believe that he should be alive because he was a monster.

Ace had a no wanting to be alive but that all changed when he met Sabo, Luffy and got on better terms with Dadan and the bandits. He still believes that his every existence is bullshit, but just maybe. Just maybe he could make things right.

"Oi!" Ace turns to face the bandit in charge. The bandit turns and looks at Ace.

"What?"

"Take care of Luffy and make sure he gets a blanket. I'll make sure to come back to you guys so when Luffy wakes up let him know that I promised." Ace looks at the amazing scene before him. Then turns and looks at the fire in Grey Terminal.

"Wait Ace what are yo-?"

Then Ace ran away from the camp and making his way down the hill and into the forest. He can hear the bandits yelling for him to come back. But he didn't care anymore he had to go and help Dadan and the bandits and the citizens if he could.

'I'm going to you Dadan!'

————————————————————

At the North side of Grey Terminal a young beta boy is running through the blazing inferno to head towards his family.

'Ace, Luffy, Dadan and everyone I'm coming I swear! Please be safe!'

Sabo was scouring the area to find any sign of them. The fire had already progressed significantly since he went looking in there 10 minutes ago.

He would've went around but he couldn't because the fired started to spread so he no choice but to go right through. But it was to hard for Sabo. His lungs were having a hard time and his eyes were being to water. He couldn't see where he was going anymore.

'Shit! I can't see and this damn smoke isn't helping me either!'

*Bang* Sabo got surprised and turns around to face whatever what was right behind him.

*Bang* *Clang* a piece of metal falls from a pile of trash creating an opening from the rubble. However to his surprise a tiny arm comes out and is trying desperately to escape. The arm goes back in and comes a pair of lips and a nose. Trying so hard to breath. They shout, "Please help! Anyone please we're trapped! Help!" Sabo sees this and acts immediately.

"Hey I'm here! Don't worry I'm going to help you!" Sabo begins to move the rubble that's on top of her. He works so fast it's like he's lightning. He moves the last big piece and he sees a grandma, one little girl that's around Luffy's age and a toddler.

He helps up the girl and he hands her brother to carry. Next he puts the grandma on his back and he begins to lead them out of fire.

It wasn't easy especially when he had three people he had to help but somehow a gust of wind opened up a way out, it was so strange. Almost like someone was looking out for him. It doesn't matter anymore he got out and so did the people he rescued. But he was on the wrong side of the island the base was on the west side, he was on the east side.

"Um, excuse me." The girl from before speaks up.

"Hm?"

"I wanted to say thank you for what you did." She bows and her little brother comes up from behind her and does the same. The grandma would've done the same but she couldn't move.

"Oh no, it's okay anyone would've done what I did." He was getting flustered.

"No you're wrong!" That surprised Sabo. "No one would have ever saved us, but you did so that's why thank you!" She was in tears. Sabo was so stricken by her words and tears. Because she was right no one in Grey Terminal would've went out of their way to save them. They would've just ignored the screams and the pleading and just say, "that's their problem!" and went on their way. It's sad but true.

The girl lifts her head up and wipes her eyes. "So please let me lead you to the camp, it'll be safe there." Sabo was confused.

"Camp? What camp?"

"It's the camp that we were trying to go after we got stuck. It's through these forest." She points her finger towards the forest.

He looks at the direction where she pointed and looks back at her.

'I guess I have no choice.'

"Okay I'll go with you."

Her face lights up like a Christmas tree and she goes and get her family ready. She went to go and pick up her grandma who couldn't walk. But instead Sabo puts her hand on her shoulder and gently moves her aside. He sets the grandma on his back and the sister picks up her brother and they begin the track through the forest and to the hill.