Chapter 1

It is a luminous Friday afternoon in Fernandina Beach-one of those days that unintentionally reminds me why I live in northern Florida. While a good deal of the world suffers with low temperatures and unseemly natural disasters, we get sunshine and rainbows. No snow. Rarely a tornado. Never an earthquake. Sometimes we might get a hurricane. But, here, we are so far in from the gulf stream that we've been mostly spared in our entanglements with climate change.

As I head up Fletcher Avenue, I peer to the right at all the well kept beach houses and the clear sky over the ocean. It's an easy drive and sometimes I drive up this road just to dream about one day living in one of these beautiful homes. The house I am renting is only a few moments away, but it is a far cry from the relaxed opulence of the beach lifestyle. I am fine with this, since I get to live here and enjoy it daily. My mind drifts back to reality as I reach Ethan's condominium complex.

Ethan lives in a place inanely named, The Sand Dunes. He's lived here for a couple of years. His parents bought the condo after he finished high school and have rented it out to him since he graduated college. At any rate, I love coming over. He has an incredible ocean view and most of the condos are only weekly rentals in the summer. So, he rarely has intrusive neighbors. As I park my slightly marred silver 2008 Scion in the parking lot, my mind leaps at the ventures he may have concocted for our usual late Friday night antics. Ethan never fails to surprise me with the fun he dreams up all on his own.

I walk mindlessly across the short parking lot to the elevator at the right side of the building. He only lives on the third floor, but I don't need the extra exercise considering I will get plenty once I reach Ethan's place. I only have to wait a few seconds before the elevator pings open and I head inside. I punch the number three and wait expectantly as the doors swiftly close. I am briefly reminded of people that I have seen pound the close door button, as soon as the floor is selected, in an ill planned attempt to make the elevator move faster. A smile spreads across my face at the thought, and suddenly my dimples actually hurt.

After the short elevator ride,  I try to mitigate my smile as my feet march down the macadamia hall to Ethan's door. He's in the middle of the corridor, so I don't have to walk far. I ring the doorbell twice, because, well, once is never enough and Ethan answers swiftly. I'm only halfway in the door when he gathers his arms around me and draws me close. He really is the sweetest person I know. Most people shake hands. But, he is the type of person who never met a stranger. I sometimes wish I could be this way, but I guess I am just a little more cautious. The hug quickly gives way to his usual alacritous kiss on the cheek.

Now, my smile may not disappear as quickly as I require. But, we'll probably drink a glass of wine and spiel about whatever books we read this week before we get down to business anyway.

Ethan grabs my hand and drags me forward before asking me about my day so far.

"It's been interesting" I tell him. "With the book festival coming up in less than a week, April is more of a nudnik than usual."

"Oh yeah?" he smirks and adds "I didn't know that was possible."

April Pierce is our boss at a book store downtown. She can be wound a little tight sometimes. But, we've grown accustomed to her perfectionism.

"She's worried that the store must be impeccable or she'll be embarrassed in front of some local authors that most people have never even heard of" I add.

"Emily, there are some pretty big authors attending, as well..." Ethan reminds me as his voice trails off.

I look up and notice that Ethan has completed his first home "renovation" project. I am sure he did not get the approval of the condominium association, but that's probably not important. He catches me looking up at the ceiling which now has an extra vent grating large enough for a human to squeeze through. He did a really good job. The vent fits perfectly.