Chapter 2

My tattered car meanders down the dark streets of this "sleepy little beach town with a drinking problem". I have actually heard our home town described this way in many conversations, and it suits us well. We are, after all, founded on rum drinking pirates. And, perhaps that is one of the reasons it is so peaceful here. Everyone is pretty relaxed, if just a little bit tipsy. We have thankfully landed on an idyllic paradise.

I often wonder why they don't add more street lights. It can be quite difficult to drive at night, because it becomes so tenebrous late in the evening. I'm pretty sure it is a result of city planning believing that it adds to the local charm much like the overgrown centenarian oak trees that you are only allowed to trim after a hurricane wreaks a wee amount of havoc.

My street comes into view and I turn towards my home. The small 1950's ranch style rental sits on the left. I pull into the driveway and park before I reach the carport. In other places, people use the carport or garage to house a car for protection against the weather. But, in Florida, it is usually used for other purposes. In my case, I maintain a lawn mower, a few tools and lawn chairs.

As the Scion quietly eases to a halt, I pull the key out of the ignition and grab my bags. Tacitly, I reach out my arm and open the unlocked door to the right of the car. I don't want to alarm Jonathan if he is already asleep. I leave my tote bag and purse on the hook by the front entrance and head down the hallway.

Once I enter the main bedroom, I surmise that he is not there, because the bed is still neatly made. And, there  are no signs of life.  Hmmm...that's weird I think to myself. I don't remember him mentioning anything about working tonight. Perhaps he is having a late night with the boys. I can't blame him for staying out after I hung out at Ethan's place until after 10 pm.

Jonathan Lee is my "boyfriend". I actually don't care for that term. It seems like they could come up with a term that is more mature to detail two adults who share a life together, but haven't embarked on a lifetime partnership. Anyway, we have been dating for close to two years and he moved into my home about 6 months ago. He works in graphic design for an unpretentious marketing company in Jacksonville and seems to enjoy his work.

I met Jonathan when April hired him to make some posters and signage for the book store. I thought he was April's boyfriend at first, the way she fawned all over him. So, I was more than a little embarrassed when I found out that he was there to work. At any rate, we hit it off almost immediately and started hanging out soon after. 

Jonathan is very attractive as well. But, in a different way. He doesn't have Ethan's laid back surfer boy appeal, but he works just about as hard on maintaining an exquisite physique. Jonathan matches the tall, dark and handsome cliche. He is, also, much more serious than Ethan and me.

Anyway, I suddenly realize I am starving after all the exertion earlier in the evening. Sauntering into the kitchen, I flip on the light and head to the refrigerator. When I pop open the door, I see that Jonathan left me some Moon River Pizza with a small note attached. 

It reads:

Sorry I wasn't able to catch you. I hope you had fun with Ethan. I have to go on an unplanned trip to California to hobnob with some clients who are really close to signing a deal. I will be back Monday afternoon and you can tell me all about your weekend. I left you some pizza and your favorite Landshark lager. I will miss you.

I love you ×××ooo
Jonathan

This sucks. I was hoping to spend some time with him. He travels too much. Always out to California or down to Miami. But, I am grateful that he is cool about my friendship with Ethan. Ethan and I have been best friends practically since the moment we met and most of our acquaintances probably don't realize the depth of our connection.